Spilled Coffee On Keyboard

My son owns an HP Pavillion laptop which is about 9 years old. Yesterday morning he was sitting on the couch with his pc on the table. He went to get up and spilled a cup of coffee on about 2/3 of the keyboard! I told him to wipe it down, get a towel, and lay it down on the towel.
Long story short, we used can air to dry it, then placed it in front of a high velocity fan for almost 24 hours. The keys were sticky and it would not power up. I said what the heck, it's ruined now so it won't hurt to try and get it on. I sprayed CRC QD CLEANER on the keyboard and that got the keys to moving. I then put 3 IN 1 OIL between the keys and started working them. And, it even powered up!
There seems to be nothing wrong with it. In fact, I'm typing all of this on said laptop. Did he get lucky or what!
:eek:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
It still probably needs to be torn down and cleaned but if its 9 years old, its time for a new one. But yeah, very lucky.

aldan

that contact cleaner isnt so good for getting rid of sticky stuff,although if it works go hard.lol.i would have disassembled and washed it under a stream of water.then dry it out for a few days before putting back together.chances are its got some wet areas now that arent dried out and its only a matter of time before it tanks again.

strollin

You can often find laptop replacement keyboards on Ebay pretty cheap. If your fix turns out to only be temporary, you might want to check Ebay.