Spilled lemonade on my desktop

fender3444

So, last night I got a glass of lemonade and went to my room and laid it down on my computer desk where I thought it was ok so I could turn the light on and I put my glass on a lighter or tweezers. The glass spilled and went straight to my computer.

The computer was turned off and I haven't turned it on since. The lemonade went into a fan hole on the top and mostly hit the video card and a little on my power supply which is in the bottom. Some splashed on the motherboard from what I can tell, but not much.

So, my question is, would it even matter if I took some rubbing alcohol and started cleaning these parts or do I have to build a new computer? I built this computer in December 2008, but I didn't want to build s new one yet. But, I guess I will if I have to.

Laquer Head

So, last night I got a glass of lemonade and went to my room and laid it down on my computer desk where I thought it was ok so I could turn the light on and I put my glass on a lighter or tweezers. The glass spilled and went straight to my computer.

The computer was turned off and I haven't turned it on since. The lemonade went into a fan hole on the top and mostly hit the video card and a little on my power supply which is in the bottom. Some splashed on the motherboard from what I can tell, but not much.

So, my question is, would it even matter if I took some rubbing alcohol and started cleaning these parts or do I have to build a new computer? I built this computer in December 2008, but I didn't want to build s new one yet. But, I guess I will if I have to.

Use it as an excuse to build something new... :)

Seriously though,,the fact it was off was definitely good.. I'd make double sure its 100%, cleaned up..check the ports where power plugs in the back..as well as inside case.

You should be fine...provided it clean and 100% dry.

beers

Staff member
Did you flip off the power from the back or remove it from the wall? Some standby power goes through certain components.

Was it the whole glass or a few drops? As above it might still work if it's completely dried out. I'd wipe out obvious spill spots with rubbing alcohol.