Splitting a cable connection

Roadking

Hello Everyone, Newb here,
I have a problem and am racking my brains trying to figure out how to solve it!! The room that my computer is in also has my treadmill in it. I like to watch TV while on my treadmill, but, I only have one connection for cable and its hooked to my computer. I've tried using a splitter, one side to the computer , one side to the TV. It just won't work. Tried two different splitters so I know the splitter is not the problem, the TV works but the computer modem lights turn off and I get no connectivity. Is ther a special device that I need? Any help would be highly appreciated.
RK

M0ddingMan1a

so ur trying to split a single cable into 2 threads to connect to ur tv and to ur modem correct? make sure u are plugging the cables into the right input and output ports on the splitter. double check on that. and wat do u mean it doesnt work? u are unable to get connection on both devices? (tv & modem)

Scrat

DO you have a Video card or TV Card in your computer with a "TV Out" connection(RCA) that you could then plug into your TV?

Roadking

Splitting a connection

And Yes the connections are correct. My TV works but the modem shows no cable connected.

Roadking

Splitting a connection

I have tried switching cables and the TV always works and the modem never works. I did a google and someone said never to split between a modem and a TV. He just didn't say why. Totally lost right now!!

sho95

Your getting signal loss. Are you using the gold splitters? What type of cable are you using to send the signal to pc?