Spy chip reports back details of IP address?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eem2am

Hi,
I recently left a company where i had been "idly" accused of trying to make a competitor product to their own (this was not true).
When i left, they strangely put on a small leaving do for me, (just in the office after work), and presented me with a small-size plastic model of the companies product.
(It was made of plastic and made by the company's software guy on the company's 3D printer).

I took the "gift" home, but have now thrown it away.

Is it possible that this plastic product might have contained a chip (including radio transmitter), and a battery, such that when i took it home, it would report its location back to them. They would then be abel to "see" my IP address , because my IP address would be "talking" to the internet from the same location.

With knowledge of my IP address, they would then be able to see what i was searching on the web, even hack into my PC and see its files.

Is this possible?

beers

Staff member
Not really, they'd have to know specific wifi credentials and stuff and it would take some elaborate sabotage.

HR usually has your home address, it'd be easier to just get it from them. If you ever remote VPN'd in it might contain your public address anyway. That wouldn't give them browsing history and stuff unless you did it on the work PC.

eem2am

OK thanks, but are you aware that my old laptop was indeed tracked (thats for definite). A company could hear what i was saying at home, and could see what websites i searched (the IT guy told me so on the quiet). Every day, he'd mention in conversation a youtube song that i'd listened to the night before.
I believe this was because i inserted my own USB stick into the company computer, and then took it home and inserted it in my laptop....may i please respectfully ask if do you accept that this thing is in fact possible? (unfortunately i know that it was possible)

eem2am

..thanks, but as far as the company is concerned, i violated their machines by putting a personal USB stick into them in the first place...so they then have every right to put spy software onto my machine (according to them). The fact that i was just "taking work home" to assist the company, is, to them, irrelevant....in electronics, this is pretty much a standard thing.

They have listening spyware, which cleverly listens to you at all times, and is able to consolidate every little piece of conversation you've had, and transmit it back to them in a little "bundle" (so they dont have to listen to loads of hours to hear a few minutes of conversation)....even if you have music or radio on....it can still pick out your voice. Pretty much all electronics engineering co's have this spyware facility.

Status
Not open for further replies.