Spybot vs Malware Bytes

do these two programs scan for the same things? or different things?

i normally use malware bytes when doing virus removals, i recently had a computer that was pretty severely infected, i used adwcleaner, then JRT, then i scanned with malware bytes and it came up with about 150 infections which i then removed/quarantined, at this point the computer was running pretty well,

i had a bit of spare time so immediately after that, kind of just for fun i ran a scan with spybot, i was a bit surprised that spybot came back with over 200 infections that malware bytes did not pick up :eek:

Spybot is crappy outdated software. Malwarebytes is much better.

i value, respect, and very much appreciate your opinion,

i am not trying to argue with you, just trying to educate myself, but if malware bytes is much better, why did it not pick up the 200+ viruses that spybot did? :confused:

aldan

hey bill,spybot picks up more false positives now than real infections.like voyager said its quite outdated.malwarebytes is the "real meal deal".

jamesd1981

Some programs like cleaners and malware detectors simply display a load of crap to make you think they actually work.

Malwarebytes is very well known and time tested program, I also use iobit malware fighter which is pretty good.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Can I ask what were some of the things that Spybot caught? Do you still have access to the logfile from Spybot? I would like to see it.

Can I ask what were some of the things that Spybot caught? Do you still have access to the logfile from Spybot? I would like to see it.

unfortunately i do not,

i kind of only glanced at the list quickly, none of the threats/viruses seemed to be severe (you know how spy bot gives you a scale of how severe each threat is), they were all on the lower end of the scale

I use malwarebytes and Super antispyware. Best two you could use. But I use a lot of other scanners too.

thanks,

i have heard good things about super antispyware, but have never tried it or checked it out, i guess i will!

looks like i will ditch the use of spybot