SSD and HDD problem

Cameron Robbins

Hi guys,

I built my computer 4 years ago and had a 2TB HDD installed (no ssd). Over the years, it is now almost full with just 200GB of storage free. I just got a 250GB ssd, what is the best way of migrating windows the SSD and keeping all my media on the HDD? I am also planning to get a second 2TB this month.

*Preferences*
- No HDD format as I don't have a drive big enough for a back up
- I want my HDD to be able to be easily accessed, e.g. I want to be able to lookup files from the search bar in the bottom left.

Thanks for any help, would really appreciate it :)

Cameron Robbins

Fresh install of Windows on the SSD.

Thanks for the advice, I planned to do this, but if I want my HDD to work properly with it, as far as I'm aware, it will need a format. So the OS wasn't really the bit I was stuck on. But I apologies for being very unclear in the question (I only just re-read what I wrote)

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Your HDD will work fine as it already has data on it, Just make sure you disconnect it before reinstalling on the SSD. Once its installed, shut the system down, reconnect HDD and it should automatically assign the drive a letter and be visible in "Computer" and accessible.

Cameron Robbins

Your HDD will work fine as it already has data on it, Just make sure you disconnect it before reinstalling on the SSD. Once its installed, shut the system down, reconnect HDD and it should automatically assign the drive a letter and be visible in "Computer" and accessible.

Fresh install of windows on the SSD, but when I search for files, I only get ssd files, no HDD. What's the problem? I can view the files in file explorer, but I can't search, it's being treated like an external drive.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Using Windows 10? Go into pc and type your search up top. It will search the whole pc. On phone or I would post image.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I just tried searching different things that I know that are on my HDD and its hit or miss whether or not it shows up.

strollin

I have four HDDs in my system. If I open File Explorer in Windows 10, select "This PC", then type search criteria in the search box and click Enter, it will search all of the HDDs I have on my system. It will also include USB thumb drives I have plugged in at the moment.