SSD and OS Reinstall

MyCattMaxx

I just got parts to put a new system together.
While installing the OS and it was finalizing the install on a new SSD when the system stopped and rebooted and told me I have an unstable PS.
After I get a new PS what is the best way to reinstall?
I read somewhere awhile back that erasing is bad and so is reformatting.
So I could use some advice from people who have been through this before.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Wow, look who came back from the dead. Good to see you Maxx.

No issue with formatting the drive. When you go to install, press Shift+F10 to open a cmd prompt and then run DISKPART.

I normally do the following:
list disk
select disk # [whatever your SSD shows up as for list disk)
clean

If you want to use the system reserved partition (I don't know what it's for) just close the cmd and continue through the install as normal. Otherwise:
create partition primary
format quick fs=ntfs

It's pretty much the same procedure for 7 and 8. I like Sean's Windows SSD install guide myself.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1156654/seans-windows-7-install-optimization-guide-for-ssds-hdds

beers

Staff member
I read somewhere awhile back that erasing is bad and so is reformatting.
That sounds really specific and/or technical... ;)

Just dump the partition table with the Windows installer. Most utilities do a 'quick format' as well so you don't have to burn through a drive's worth of capacity of write cycles.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Yep, thats what I do. Just use the install cd to delete existing partitions and set everything back up again.

MyCattMaxx

That's what I wanted to make sure of. I will have a new PS later today.
I opened up the old PS and found leaking caps so I will repair it later and use it on something else.
My only experience with SSD are the ones I have in my servers running Linux.

MyCattMaxx

Update: New PS installed and everything is up and running. Thanks.
Now I'm suspecting the issues I was experiencing with the old hardware was the PS.
Guess I'll be ordering another case, PS and put it back together and see what happens.
In any case it was an excuse to move from a Phenom II to an I7. :cool:

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
My Phenom II x4 965BE still purrs happily in my HTPC :) Also have a spare Phenom II X6 1055T kicking around with a good mobo.

MyCattMaxx

This was the Phenom II x4 970 and Asus mb that I got from JLuchinski a few years back.
But the I7 setup will improve processing time on telescope pics.
Might even get PixInsight to try since it is supposed to be better than Photoshop for this kind of work.