SSD capacity vs speed

Stormhammer

I have a question. Out of the multitude of manufacturers offering solid state drives now, I've seen the prices, as well as the capacity of each drive, run the gamut of cheap to ridiculous. My question is...for the drives that are on the cheaper side but have more storage: are you getting a drive that will be more prone to failure versus something more expensive? How are they able to sell an SSD with say, 1TB of space, for less than another brand that sells something like a 250GB model for the same or more? I'm just curious if the more expensive/less storage capacity drives are actually faster and better built than the cheaper ones or if it's just some kind of marketing gimmick.

beers

Staff member
Depends which specific drives you're comparing.

There's a large difference between SATA and NVMe M.2 interfaces for potential transfer rate and performance.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
There are different write and read speeds to take in consideration. Also, the type of SSD.

Stormhammer

I'm just curious about the normal SATA SSDs and not NVMe at the moment. I've generally found from research that Samsung tends to be the most popular SSD manufacturer, but they are more expensive compared to other brands that offer more storage for less money.

Intel_man

VIP Member
Samsung charges a lot because their 3D Nand in most scenarios are about on par to MLC drives which is quite a bit faster than most TLC drives (which is what most drives are nowadays).