ssd drive for gaming

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
A SSD will only make the game load faster, but won't give you additional FPS. SSDs, in my opinion, are better for installing operating system and other commonly used programs. That's what i did and it made my computer much more responsive overall.

Grey410

I have a 64GB Sata 3 Crucial SSD for my OS and a 128GB Sata 3 Crucial for games. Love them both. I like the fact everything loads faster because I primarily play games and hate waiting (even the extra 30 seconds lol).

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you can afford it, it's one of the best upgrades you can do to your system.

+1,Its great for your OS because everything is instant,although at this moment in time would i recommend it for gaming?...nah.

Maybe when the day that SSDs are alot bigger and more affordable then yes.

lewiedude

I have a 64GB Sata 3 Crucial SSD for my OS and a 128GB Sata 3 Crucial for games. Love them both. I like the fact everything loads faster because I primarily play games and hate waiting (even the extra 30 seconds lol).

I have a vertex 2 Which is 90gb. I am thinking of trying the 64gb crucial sata 3 for win7 pro, but am afraid of the size being too limiting. I think that I would then load the proggies onto the vertex ssd.. Good idea or not?

jevery

May I ask how you've set up your C300s. I've just bought the 128GB, but I didn't know that the Marvell 6 Gb/s controllers don't pass the TRIM command until I spent some time at the Crucial forums. I'm currently using the Intel 3 Gb/s port and happy with the benches compared to the X-25M and the Vertex 2, but not realizing the full potential of the drive. Are you using the 6 Gb/s ports and GC with good results, and have you updated to firmware v006?

Grey410

I have a vertex 2 Which is 90gb. I am thinking of trying the 64gb crucial sata 3 for win7 pro, but am afraid of the size being too limiting. I think that I would then load the proggies onto the vertex ssd.. Good idea or not?

I only have my OS on the 64GB. I use my 1.5TB drive for program files and everything else. So I'd use the vertex for games and your steam directory if you have a non SSD drive for everything else. I have 26GB free on the 64GB drive.

May I ask how you've set up your C300s. I've just bought the 128GB, but I didn't know that the Marvell 6 Gb/s controllers don't pass the TRIM command until I spent some time at the Crucial forums. I'm currently using the Intel 3 Gb/s port and happy with the benches compared to the X-25M and the Vertex 2, but not realizing the full potential of the drive. Are you using the 6 Gb/s ports and GC with good results, and have you updated to firmware v006?

I'm using the Marvell controller and didn't realize until your post it isn't passing the TRIM command. Not good...

As for the firmware I've read about v006 and not seen good things. I'm not sure if mine are v002 or not. I haven't figured out how to check yet to be honest (I've had 10 guests in town for NYE and haven't researched it yet).

jevery

I'm using the Marvell controller and didn't realize until your post it isn't passing the TRIM command. Not good...

As for the firmware I've read about v006 and not seen good things. I'm not sure if mine are v002 or not. I haven't figured out how to check yet to be honest (I've had 10 guests in town for NYE and haven't researched it yet).

Crystal Disk Info will confirm if TRIM is active. You have to look on the fine print of the drive itself to determine firmware version.

Grey410

Crystal Disk Info will confirm if TRIM is active. You have to look on the fine print of the drive itself to determine firmware version.

Thanks a lot for the tip on that program (FYI it shows the firmware at the top). I'm running V002. Until I read confirmation the bugs are worked out of V006 I'm not upgrading. It shows TRIM as highlighted (which means it's running?) on both my drives using the Marvell controller showing SATA 6GB.

jevery

Thanks a lot for the tip on that program (FYI it shows the firmware at the top). I'm running V002. Until I read confirmation the bugs are worked out of V006 I'm not upgrading. It shows TRIM as highlighted (which means it's running?) on both my drives using the Marvell controller showing SATA 6GB.

Well, I thought if TRIM was highlighted then it was active. There's a few people on the Crucial forum that also seem to have TRIM working with the Marvell. Hmmm, I think I'll give the 6 Gb/s port a try. Have you run Atto disk benchmark to see where you stand on throughput?

Grey410

Well, I thought if TRIM was highlighted then it was active. There's a few people on the Crucial forum that also seem to have TRIM working with the Marvell. Hmmm, I think I'll give the 6 Gb/s port a try. Have you run Atto disk benchmark to see where you stand on throughput?

75mb avg write 335mb avg read

Benny Boy

To know if trim is working in 7:

Command prompt > fsutil behavior query disabledeletenotify

DisableDeleteNotify = 1 (Windows TRIM commands are disabled)
DisableDeleteNotify = 0 (Windows TRIM commands are enabled)