SSD Failed, RMA'd, What about Windows?

Dice2121

So my SSD isn't recognized in the UEFI SATA list anymore, therefore I can't boot from it. RMA is in process, but I haven't sent the drive to the manufacturer yet. My understanding is that since the drive isn't accessible, I personally can't retrieve the data that is on it.

I installed an OEM copy of Windows 7 Home Premium on the SSD. Haven't made any backups, but I don't think that will help anyway.

Question is: What can I do? Is my copy of Windows 7 used up already? Is there some way the manufacturer could migrate the drive contents to the replacement drive?

Or am I screwed and need to purchase another copy of Windows?

Thanks.

EDIT: Sig is out of date, don't pay attention to it.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You can reinstall with the same copy and key. It only matters when you change motherboards.

Dice2121

You can reinstall with the same copy and key. It only matters when you change motherboards.

Thanks. That made my day. I was really starting to freak out that my drive ate my Windows.

So then I would simply install Windows on the new SSD that the manufacturer sends me? Just like I did the first time I installed Windows? Or do I need to change anything?

gigabiteme

if there is any problems phone them and explain what happened , they will issue you a new code without too much problem

Dice2121

This was actually a pretty interesting problem I had. I never sent the drive in, but it works now.

So before shipping the SSD away, I thought of hooking it up to a SATA 2 port instead of the SATA 3 port it was in originally. It showed up in the SATA list and I was able to boot from it.

Bad cable maybe? Changed it out and hooked it back up to SATA 3, didn't show up on the SATA list.

To make a long story short, I contacted Asus (motherboard manufacturer) and they instructed me to remove the CMOS battery. That fixed the issue. SSD now works on SATA 3, am able to boot from it, and everything works just as before.

What I can't figure out is why/how the SATA 3 controller stopped working, if that's even what caused it to not show up on the SATA list, and how removing the battery solved the issue.