SSD on Laptop compatibility

Billson

Hi guys. It's been a long time. I have a Compaq Presario V3000. It's pretty old and slow, so I wanted to install an SSD on it. How can I know if that's possible. Or if it is possible regardless the computer. Thanks in advance.

ssal

Spending money on a 10 year old computer? A $150 computer today probably is 10x more powerful than it.

TrainTrackHack

VIP Member
It will be compatible as long as the laptop has SATA, and it will certainly be faster at some things, but for a computer that old most of the slowness you experience will probably be caused by old age (slow CPU and not enough RAM). Also, be aware that XP/Vista aren't SSD aware so they'll require a bit of tweaking (and you won't get TRIM, but even without it an SSD will be a lot faster).

But even a cheapo SSD will be way faster than an old laptop HD, I have one of those reviled Kingston V300 SSDNows in my laptop and one in my parents' computer, it's a night and day difference compared to a HD. If you get one now and it doesn't end up making a difference, you can just chuck it in your new computer when you end up getting one.

Geoff

VIP Member
Why bother upgrading such an old laptop? Looking at the specs online, it only has 512MB of RAM, a 1.83GHz Core Duo CPU, and runs Windows XP. You need a new computer.

ssal

Comparing to 10 years ago, we are doing a lot more in the internet. The machine itself plays a lesser role as long as it has a reasonable amount of ram, reasonable amount of disk space, reasonable CPU speed/capacity. That's why I said a $150 machine today is 10x better than a 10 year old machine running on XP. And God only knows what is the connectivity setup (Wifi) it had in those dark days.

I bought an Asus XT205 a couple of years ago to usie when I go to the library or doing some casual browsing. Even with only 2GB ram and 32GB EMMC (I added another 32GB of SD), it works pretty well for me. I can even do some limited Photoshop editing.

ssal

Yes, my point is, they don't have to be the biggest and fastest because the bottleneck is in the connectivity instead. But if any of the core components are slow, that would hold back whatever fast connectivity you may have.

Geoff

VIP Member
Yes, my point is, they don't have to be the biggest and fastest because the bottleneck is in the connectivity instead. But if any of the core components are slow, that would hold back whatever fast connectivity you may have.
Except his laptop looks to only have 512MB of RAM and runs XP.

Billson

Well actually it´s running Win7.
Spending money on a 10 year old computer? A $150 computer today probably is 10x more powerful than it.
Cheapest laptop I can get from a decent brand (Dell) is $770. Whereas I can buy an Intel SSD for $90. I mentioned Dell because the others are awful brands manufactured in my country. Either way, even if I bought a new laptop somewhere down the road, I can install the SSD there.

Darren

Staff member
Well actually it´s running Win7.

Cheapest laptop I can get from a decent brand (Dell) is $770. Whereas I can buy an Intel SSD for $90. I mentioned Dell because the others are awful brands manufactured in my country. Either way, even if I bought a new laptop somewhere down the road, I can install the SSD there.
Used laptops are the way to go. Check local computer shops if they've got any.