SSD or HDD configuration

sterlingr

Hello all,
As I am starting my first build soon I ran into a conflict with my storage solution. I am looking for suggestions onto what type of storage to use. First, a quick background.

My first plan was to buy a small (60-128gb) SSD to store my Windows partition and then a 1TB HDD for everything else. I mean EVERYTHING else when I say that, even user folders and all programs, not just excess media.

But the more and more I think about this, the more I become skeptical. Not only will I have to mess with the file directories to make sure everything runs seamlessly between the two drives, but if everything is on my 1TB HDD then the only thing that would benefit from the SSD would be boot times.

So, finally, my question. Should I keep my plan of an SSD as well as a large HDD for everything else? Or should I spend a little more and buy a larger (250-500GB) SSD for everything? I think it could be extremely beneficial to have the entire computer on a large SSD but wanted to know what you guys thought!

Thanks!

Geoff

VIP Member
If you can afford a larger SSD, I would look at a 250-512GB SSD to use for both the OS and applications. I would still use a second drive for data, unless you are positive you can fit everything on that drive. It's very easy to change the location of your documents, movies, download, and other user folders.