SSD or HDD for extra hard drives

LooN3y

Hey, i need to get a 3rd hard drive for my desktop as I'm running out of space.

i initially got 1 512 SSD and one 1TB HDD. I know putting the OS on the SSD make a huge difference,

but for games does putting on an SSD make a significant difference or should i just get a HDD?

C4C

Your loading times will be decreased which can help if you want to be the first to the chopper :D

It doesn't hurt and since you have quite a bit of space you'll probably find that not waiting as long for a level to load will make you happier..

PCunicorn

Not really that simple. You'll still have an equal chance of being first to the chopper in a game like Arma, since the map is already loaded in the RAM. It will just take slightly longer to start the game and map, but the difference is usually negligible.

If you just want extra storage, get a HDD. Should be a to get able 6 TB drive under $200 (make SURE not to get an archive drive or CCTV drive such as WD Purple, They're not made for normal use).

Geoff

VIP Member
It's just the loading speed that will be slightly quicker, you aren't going to get a higher framerate or notice anything once the game actually starts, short of any mid-game loading that some single player games have. A 512GB SSD should be more than enough for the OS and games, just make sure all your data is stored on your mechanical drive.

beers

Staff member
Depends on the game. For something like an MMO I'd use an SSD since there's generally a difference for texture popping. For most games it won't matter, so you might as well get a decent sized HDD for your bulk data like 3TB+.

512 GB is pretty huge for an SSD anyway for all of your OS and applications. I wouldn't waste the solid state storage on something like videos though.

I stream all of my games except for CSGO off of my fileserver. Pretty minimal difference compared to the SSD.

LooN3y

thanks for the advice guys,

but i only installed games on there, i literally have no idea whats taking all of my 512 on my SSD.

my 1TB HDD is where i put all my data (music, movies, shows, other games) and started to just put a lot of programs on there too.