SSD Queue Length Full, Freezing

raoul_1101

Computer Forum,

First off, nice to be back, I haven't been here in years!

So, I am having a problem I'm unable to solve. Recently, I had cloned my Windows 8.1 install from a 64GB Corsair SSD to a 128GB Kingston SSD, using Acronis. Since, I'm facing a lot of freezing. That is, every few minutes, the computer comes to a grinding halt, to the point where the mouse no longer moves at all. 30 seconds (or so) later, everything comes back, fully functional. A few minutes later, it might happen again.

I've come to the conclusion it is HDD related. In resources monitor, whenever it freezer, I can see the queue length of my main HDD go to 100%, and returns back to normal as soon as the computer unfreezes. I know a fresh install is almost always preferred over a clone, but for now, I want to avoid a reinstall.

I've done some research, and have seen culprits such as LPM, or alignment problems. I did run a registry file that some had recommended here:
http://www.ithacks.com/2012/10/14/fixing-an-ssd-freezing-on-windows-7/
I have also defragmented the disk. I disabled LPM from power options. I have tried a separate SATA cable, and a separate SATA port.

I have not, however, fully updated my BIOS, as I've failed to find a BIOS update for my mobo (XFX nForce 680i LT, BIOS version 6.0).

Can you guys help?

EDIT: This is an XFX nForce 690i LT

Last edited:

raoul_1101

In addition, I have run the command from the Setup and Manage Thread:
fsutil behavior query disabledeletenotify

And I did get a return of 0, indicating, I believe, TRIM is functioning.

raoul_1101

So you have an SSD and an HDD?

Right now, all of my documents, pictures, files, and most non-essential programs on are a normal HDD, yes.

Try unplugging the HDD and see what happens.

I can give it a try, but of course that is not a long term solution. What do you suspect, if you don't mind my asking?

claptonman

Corrupt windows,

SSD not functioning correctly,

HDD is going bad, so if the computer tries to find something in that drive, it slows up and locks it.

At any rate, best thing would be a reformat, even though you're trying to avoid it. Not a good idea to clone an SSD, as you don't get as good of performance if you were to do a clean install.

raoul_1101

So essentially, I should just wipe and reinstall. That's about what I was expecting to hear, I just figured I'd come here and see if there any known, hopefully easy to fix, causes of this behavior.

raoul_1101

SSD Failure

SO,

I have reinstalled Windows 7 on my machine, only find I have the same problem- HDD Queue goes to 100% and freezes. I am fairly sure that the drive is the root of the cause at this point, and have started the RMA process. Thank you for your help!