SSD SATA cables: is there a specific cable for SATA 3, or is it just the port itself that matters?

JohnJSal

So yeah, I ordered an SSD but stupid me forgot to think about the actual cables I need! I don't think it comes with a cable, but perhaps I have extras. But any extras I have will be from years ago, and I've read that SATA 3 is the way to go nowadays.

Does that mean I need a newer cable, or is there just one cable and the only distinction between SATA 2 and SATA 3 is the port itself on the motherboard?

Also, I didn't even realize I needed to also plug the SSD into the PSU! I'm thinking I probably have extra cables for that as well, but does it matter that they are from when I actually bought the motherboard and PSU many years ago? They've never been used though.

Thanks!

Intel_man

VIP Member
Your motherboard should come with a few sata cables.

If your PSU is not modular (i.e. detachable cables), the sata power connectors should be on there somewhere.

JohnJSal

Thanks, I found them both!

But as far as SATA 2 vs. SATA 3, is there a cable that is specifically a SATA 3 cable, or is it all one cable and only the ports themselves are what determines the bandwidth?

Intel_man

VIP Member
cables the same. I thought there was a difference before in the cables but it's more they've added the clip to the SATA 3 cables so it holds onto the connector better.

JohnJSal

Thanks so much! Just one final question: when I disconnect my current HDD so that it doesn't conflict with installing Windows 10 on the new SSD, do I simply unplug the SATA cable from the motherboard? Is that all I need to do to disconnect it? Nothing else, or no "safely eject" type of step prior?

Darren

Staff member
Thanks so much! Just one final question: when I disconnect my current HDD so that it doesn't conflict with installing Windows 10 on the new SSD, do I simply unplug the SATA cable from the motherboard? Is that all I need to do to disconnect it? Nothing else, or no "safely eject" type of step prior?
Don't do it when it's on.

beers

Staff member
You should have a SATA power header from your PSU, if not there's splitters. Even if your interface down-negotiated to "SATA 2" the bus would be faster than the drive, but the cables should be the same.

I'd just disconnect the HDD when the PC is powered off, and install to the SSD as the only drive connected during that process.