WIndows 10 SSD & SATA Drives

Brian A

Hello,

I'm planning to purchase a new computer shortly. I use my current PC primarily for spreadsheets, scanning documents, email, browsing the web and streaming. No gaming.

My question is, should I purchase a dual drive consisting of a 512 GB SSD drive and a 1 TB SATA drive or just buy a 1TB SSD drive instead. I currently use an external drive for storage back up so not sure what the best option would be as my understanding that the SSD drive is much faster than an SATA drive. Thanks for your help.

beers

Staff member
Comboing it gets convoluted. It's 2021, solid state everything.

Also I feel old since my first SSD was in 2010 :p

Pupp

How old is your computer? Mine is from 2015 and only supports up to a 32GB m.2 drive. Not sure if your thinking of using an m.2 drive or not. I was thinking about switching to an m.2 drive, but was glad I emailed the motherboard maker to see what if there was a max m.2 drive size. I was expecting a limit, but nothing as small as 32GB.

Brian A

How old is your computer? Mine is from 2015 and only supports up to a 32GB m.2 drive. Not sure if your thinking of using an m.2 drive or not. I was thinking about switching to an m.2 drive, but was glad I emailed the motherboard maker to see what if there was a max m.2 drive size. I was expecting a limit, but nothing as small as 32GB.
I'm planning to purchase a new PC, probably from Dell. Right now my current computer is 8 years old working but not great so I would not upgrade it at this point. Thanks for your help.