SSD vs. HDD

dancope

hey all, i have a question, as an external drive what are the disadvantages of a SSD, if there are any.

dancope

thank you, but i cant seem to find any larger than 4TB, at least as an external drive, which is what i'm wanting...do they come any larger?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
And the purpose of this External SSD is? At this point in time, 4tb will be the biggest available. But is the price worth it for your purpose?

beers

Staff member
thank you, but i cant seem to find any larger than 4TB, at least as an external drive, which is what i'm wanting...do they come any larger?
You can always stick a 8TB drive in a 2.5" enclosure or something, but the drive itself (even a 870 QVO) is nearly $700, for SSD.

You can put whatever 3.5" drive in an enclosure if you wanted to as well up through like 20TB.

That's the main differentiator is price vs capacity, HDD wins on $/TB, SSD wins on all performance fronts, but it all depends what you're trying to do.

Hellmut1956

The advantage of an SSD drive over hd is speed. Speed of which you only benefit if the connection can pass this speed to the computer. A positive example is when i use an ssd m.2 in that socket of my ASUS ROG Maximus III Extreme that has a special link to the CPU making speed of 7000MB/s. Already using the other sockets for ssd m.2 have lower speeds. To my knowledge the fastest speed to an external device would bei Thunderbolt 4 for example.

So compare the read/write speed of the link with that of the storage device you want to buy.