SSD wiped instead of secure erase

techcom

I have wiped a SSD instead performing a secure erase and now the drive does not allow me to create a partition. The drive shows that it is health using SanDisk dashboard. I am not sure on how to repair this issue.

Attachments

• error.PNG
    error.PNG
    8.3 KB · Views: 4

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
How did you wipe it? You really only need to use the windows install cd to delete any existing partitions and then recreate them.

techcom

I used EaseUS partition software. There is a wipe tool. If a wiped is that harmful to SSD they should have really displayed a warning message.

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Its not harmful to SSD as long its not done every day. And you don't need to do it when reinstalling windows, thats what deleting the partitions will do during the install. Are you using Easeus to create the partition? Try using the windows installation utility to do it.

beers

Staff member
I have wiped a SSD instead performing a secure erase
You could argue that these have a similar result. If you're just reinstalling Windows then you don't need the additional write cycles of a secure erase.

As per John just use the Windows installer and it will partition it for you.

techcom

But none of this explains why I now cannot partition my drive. I have uploaded a picture of the command which caused the issue 'Wipe data'. EaseUS is usually good software to do the job but this time it has failed me. I am not 100% confident with windows partition tool because once I partition a drive and lost some space when I tried to create an extended partition. There must be a good reason why this has happened.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    97.6 KB · Views: 4

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I think I know what the problem is. You have it formatted as a GPT disk. You should have it set for mbr. Convert it to mbr using easus.

techcom

It was already MBR. I just tried converting it to GPT to see what happens again and this message came up. Something has terribly gone wrong. I have just noticed my main drive is GPT. Should this be MBR instead?

Attachments

• Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    19.9 KB · Views: 2
  • Capture3.JPG
    Capture3.JPG
    106 KB · Views: 2

JaredDM

Something is blocking write access to the drive. Most likely some third party software which is mistakenly trying to protect the drive.

You don't happen to have any software running that's used to allow access to Mac formatted disks such as MacDrive do you?

Perhaps you should try initializing the drive in Windows disk management instead of using that EaseUs software.

Most generally any disk smaller then 2tb should be mbr.

There is no reason whatsoever to favor MBR over GPT unless you need the drive to work in a legacy environment such as Windows 98 or XP. But even then it'll still work because Windows will create the redundant MBR (though I'm not sure about Easeus).

GPT vs MBR has nothing to do with drive size other than the fact that MBR can't create a single partition bigger than 2.2Tb. MBR is an older format that was limited to only 4 partition entries. GPT is the newer standard and allows up to 128 partitions. However if you create the partition table with Windows it'll still create a legacy MBR partition table and insert the first 4 partitions.

Last edited by a moderator:

beers

Staff member
However if you create the partition table with Windows it'll still create a legacy MBR partition table and insert the first 4 partitions.
If you boot the installation media via UEFI the OS will partition in GPT and install as 'UEFI mode'.

Darren

Staff member
If you boot the installation media via UEFI the OS will partition in GPT and install as 'UEFI mode'.
Too bad some BIOS force you to use Secure Boot in UEFI mode and thus can't boot from a flash. Drives me nuts.