sshd on Windows (or equivalent)

Geoff

VIP Member
FFS. Nerds are nerds..

When you need to upload firmware, options, or even repair a router you use Telnet.

Not over the WAN, not over the WAN! God!
Are you implying that there is no need to be secure when on the same network as a router/switch/firewall/other core gear?

I always use SSH for firmware updates, configuration, etc., regardless if I'm on or offsite. The only time I use telnet is if I'm using some archaic component that doesn't support it.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
Why wouldn't I use SSH over the WAN? I'd argue you'd want to there more than anywhere else. Sending credentials in the clear is a sure way to have them stolen.

Even in a secured corporate network you'd want to ssh to your devices or any joker with a sniffer can get your login.

Anyway, back to my original question...turns out Cygwin + OpenSSH seems to work with very little intervention needed to connect it to my AD server. Thanks :)

Agent Smith

You're free to keep acting foolish but please realize there are multiple people in this thread who do this professionally.

Note that if you already have DD-WRT installed and working, and you are on this page because you want to revert to the router firmware, you need to break DD-WRT first! THIS IS AN EXTREMELY DANGEROUS PROCESS. SEE THE FIRST LINE IN CAPS ABOVE FOR BETTER SAFER METHODS.
telnet into the router, execute:
mtd erase linux (This bricked my Buffalo WHR-HP-GN! Don't do mtd erase linux!) reboot
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Recover_from_a_bad_flash

Last post in this thread. I shouldn't have to describe things that "professionals" know.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Recover_from_a_bad_flash

Last post in this thread. I shouldn't have to describe things that "professionals" know.

So that it's asking you to telnet into your router? You could do this over ssh as well. On top of which, no professional is running ddwrt on their work equipment.

Telnet was wonderful. 30 years ago. Now, use it connecting to your home router on your LAN. If you want. I guess. I'd still use ssh in that case. Basically where you see "telnet" replace it with ssh :p