Stable Temperatures for a GPU?

xTobyMc

So I built my first ever gaming PC last week, and I've got an XFX Radeon HD 7950 DD GPU installed in it. Being my first ever build, I'm naturally concerned about temperatures and whether my components are stable or not.

After researching online for my GPU's benchmarked temperatures, it seems the majority of other people are getting around 65-70 celsius with the card overclocked at above 1GHz from its usual 800MHz. However, when testing my card without even overclocking, it was already getting 65-70 celsius playing Far Cry 3.

After a slight overclock going up to 900MHz on my card, I was then getting around 74 celsius in Furmark, which doesn't seem too good after seeing what other people had got. My case is a Cooler Master brand, which from reviews should be suited well for airflow, but I'm starting to question it a bit now. Also, fan speeds were hitting about 58% (probably would have gone higher) at this max load, and the noise wasn't too pleasant!

Anyhow, just wondering if anyone had any advice or suggestions, thanks.

swchoi89

So I built my first ever gaming PC last week, and I've got an XFX Radeon HD 7950 DD GPU installed in it. Being my first ever build, I'm naturally concerned about temperatures and whether my components are stable or not.

After researching online for my GPU's benchmarked temperatures, it seems the majority of other people are getting around 65-70 celsius with the card overclocked at above 1GHz from its usual 800MHz. However, when testing my card without even overclocking, it was already getting 65-70 celsius playing Far Cry 3.

After a slight overclock going up to 900MHz on my card, I was then getting around 74 celsius in Furmark, which doesn't seem too good after seeing what other people had got. My case is a Cooler Master brand, which from reviews should be suited well for airflow, but I'm starting to question it a bit now. Also, fan speeds were hitting about 58% (probably would have gone higher) at this max load, and the noise wasn't too pleasant!

Anyhow, just wondering if anyone had any advice or suggestions, thanks.

Hmm... if you could, can you swap your card for another manufacturer, say MSI for instance? The cooler that comes with your GPU can perform differently between manufacturers...

My GTX 670 performs at around 55C Maximum at 1006Mhz under load. My fan speed doesn't go above 50%, so this should give you some benchmark I hope.

But other than that, it could be helpful if you can specify your:

CPU
MOTHERBOARD
PSU

xTobyMc

Cooler Master Storm Scout

It may not be the best and most expensive case, but it seemed very popular when I was purchasing it, and the ratings were good.

swchoi89

Cooler Master Storm Scout

It may not be the best and most expensive case, but it seemed very popular when I was purchasing it, and the ratings were good.

Unless I'm misunderstanding it completely, as long as it's not a mini-case, it should affect it too much...?

I use Lexa S, every wire is literally taking up every visible space. It's a big mess and you'll probably want to slap me for it, but given this, my temps are fine. And I believe GTX 670 is comparable to HD 7950? If not, then as long as there is sufficient amount of room for air, casing shouldn't matter THAT much.

What program do you use to measure your temperature btw? I use GPU-Z

Benny Boy

It's probably the cooler. Could replace it. Even if you do, consider this;

If the 5.25 bays are supported without the 3.5 cage, you could remove the cage, or all but the top 1 or 2 drive slots that aren't restricting that bottom fan, put 3.5's in the upper bays, and get some direct air flow. And/or mod a fan into the bottom of the case.

xTobyMc

Unless I'm misunderstanding it completely, as long as it's not a mini-case, it should affect it too much...?

I use Lexa S, every wire is literally taking up every visible space. It's a big mess and you'll probably want to slap me for it, but given this, my temps are fine. And I believe GTX 670 is comparable to HD 7950? If not, then as long as there is sufficient amount of room for air, casing shouldn't matter THAT much.

What program do you use to measure your temperature btw? I use GPU-Z

I use CPUID HWMonitor from the same developers as CPU-Z I believe, and the Furmark temperatures were also the same, so they must be reliable.

I did test out a good few hours of gaming last night on BF3, and the temperatures were considerably lower than Furmark's scores. Using MSI Afterburner's software, I could see my GPU temps in-game and they were never going above 62 celsius which is great!

The only issue now is noise. My graphics card is very big for my case, taking up the full width of space, and it produces a lot of fan noise at 50%+. I think I'm just going to buy some noise cancelling headphones instead of trying to sort out the components, because the temperatures seem fine now :)