Starcraft 2!!!

GSAV55

I didn't see a Starcraft 2 thread yet. Discuss any strategy, tips, likes, dislikes, etc.

I just got the game after work yesterday (the day it came out). It was a little funny, I didn't wait in lines for 2 days or go in at midnight or anything crazy like that. I just walked into Target, grabbed the game off the shelf, walked to the register (didn't even wait in line at the register, lol), and then went home and played it.

I've gotten a couples hours into the campaign, and played 2 multiplayer matches before I went to bed. I really like the campaign so far. Its really fun, well written, and pretty interesting. I like how these astronaut marines 500 years in the future have southern accents, haha.

I'm playing through on Normal, and its easy enough that I beat everything on the first try, so that I can actually enjoy the story, but challenging enough that it isn't just silly.

I was like 8 years old when the original SC came out, so I never really played it (it was rated T, haha). So I don't know about the multiplayer build orders and strategies yet. So I pretty much suck at MP right now. I need to watch some replays and stay up to date on the strategies in the forum. But even though I suck, and don't even know the build orders or tech tree yet its still enjoyable. (I haven't even built all the buildings or units yet).

Sorry for that random long trail of text. I'm home from college for the summer, and none of my friends back home play computer games, so I wanted to talk about it, haha.

Last edited:

Ramodkk

VIP Member
With RTS games, I usually go and play melee games against the AI to see all the tech tree. Unfortunately, that takes off the excitement when you're playing the campaign and they show you the different new units one by one as you complete missions. So I decided I'd play the campaign first with SC2. But my computer was being so gay, that I started playing melee before the campaign. (Apparently the extremely long loading times I'm getting only apply to campaign missions?)

GSAV55

(Apparently the extremely long loading times I'm getting only apply to campaign missions?)

Yeah, I guess it could, since they have to pre-load all the existing units, and the event scripts and everything, whereas for melee they just have to load up your opponent and his factory.

How do you like it so far? Have you played online yet? Did you play SC1?

Ramodkk

VIP Member
Graphics-wise, its awesome, gameplay is very cool too, except for my loading times. Haven't played online. Yeah, never finished Brood War campaign though.

GSAV55

I actually feel like the graphics are a bit dated in some places. In the cutscenes and between missions they look great. But I feel like the graphics during the missions almost look dated. Maybe its just the cartoony style they used. But the peoples faces remind me of Fallout 3 or Cysis, which both came out years ago. For a game 12 years in the works and released in 2010, I was a little underwhelmed by the graphics.

Also I feel like the mechanics they use are a bit dated too. It plays a bit like a C&C game. I guess I'm just used to playing Supreme Commander with revolutionary control schemes and the ability to zoom out as far as you want.

Don't get me wrong through, I am really enjoying the game, and I guess you can look at the different mechanics as representative of your role in the game. You aren't a Supreme Commander, you are rebel commander without a huge network of information, trying fight an uphill battle with limited troops and supplies, and you don't know whats around the corner.

Its really not that the in game graphics are bad, I guess I was just expected a bit more of a realistic approach to the art style. Before I bought this I had been playing Arma 2 OA for a few weeks with maxed out graphics, and had gotten really used to the realism in the graphics. Or even something like World in Conflict. It came out in 2007 and looks great. The graphics are pretty insane. But its because it uses a more realistic gritty approach. I feel like this game would be so much more immersive with a realistic engine like that. It would sick. There would be more tension, the zerg could actually be scary. Imagine if all of your marines looked as good as Tychas, or however you spell it. Like how the guys look in the armory. It would be so much more epic.

Last edited:

Ramodkk

VIP Member
Yeah, the graphics aren't top notch. But look at it this way, Blizzard never makes games with the latest graphics. Look at Starcraft or Wacraft III, they didnt have top notch graphics but the game-play made up for it. Blizzard likes to to take time and make a game that looks good, plays good and does not hog your computer down.

GSAV55

Yeah, true. The game play and story line are great, and the graphics, I'm sure, can run a a lot more machines.

g4m3rof1337

Heh, I went to a midnight launch and didn't wait in a long line. This was the line at 12, with me in front.
37514_1533632869015_1480613143_1373905_219835_n.jpg

I've been playing only Multiplayer, and am loving it. I'm still learning as I go, but it's awesome.

kobaj

VIP Member
Yeah, the graphics aren't top notch. But look at it this way, Blizzard never makes games with the latest graphics. Look at Starcraft or Wacraft III, they didnt have top notch graphics but the game-play tried to make up for it. Blizzard likes to to take time and make a game that's mediocre and every idiot will be addicted to it.

Fix'd :D.

Ramodkk

VIP Member

Yeah, the graphics aren't top notch. But look at it this way, Blizzard never makes games with the latest graphics. Look at Starcraft or Wacraft III, they didnt have top notch graphics but the game-play made up for it. Blizzard likes to to take time and make a game that looks good, plays good and does not hog your computer down. Excluding World of Warcraft

Fixed ;) lol

epidemik

Has anyone played it on a Macbook Pro?
*bracing myself for nasty comments about apple haha*
I made the switch for college since the desktop cant come (at least 1st semester) and I'm wondering if I'll be able to play this. It looks sick. I've heard it runs alright through bootcamp but Im wondering about natively in os x. I guess I'll have to put windows on here soon.

GSAV55

Has anyone played it on a Macbook Pro?
*bracing myself for nasty comments about apple haha*
I made the switch for college since the desktop cant come (at least 1st semester) and I'm wondering if I'll be able to play this. It looks sick. I've heard it runs alright through bootcamp but Im wondering about natively in os x. I guess I'll have to put windows on here soon.

lol, why would anyone play it through bootcamp? The cd has the installer for windows and os x on it. My friend picked it up for his mac last week and it runs fine. He was over at my house with it and we were playing with each other online, i was on my desktop and he was on his laptop. Too bad they don't support LANs anymore :(

Bacon

I'm assuming they fixed the overheating issues from the BETA version?

Far as I know they did. Hard for me to say though I'm getting mixed readings all throughout my computer that and I've been getting random shutdowns.

But related to the game, I just finished campaign and I LOVED IT. I honestly can't remember the last time I felt overly satisfied with the campaign of a game. Lately most games have been all focused on the multiplayer, but SC2 has campaign re-playability with all the choices you have to make and plus there are two more sets of campaign yet to be released. I can't wait!

epidemik

why would anyone play it through bootcamp?

In many cases, OS X versions of games are just ports of the Windows version and therefore run much better in windows rather than OS X. There is no denying that OS X has always lagged behind Windows in terms of gaming, even when run on the same hardware. Games released for OS X can be pretty buggy and don't get frame rates comparable to the PC version.

I got my question answered (downloading the trial next week when I have a little more free time)- I'm done threadjacking ;)