Start button does not work.

ANNR

My windows 10 task bar turn transparent when I turn on the pc today and the start button stooped working.

when I right click the start button nothing happens. Left click on the start button works fine.

The settings app is also not working, when I try to open settings, it pops up than closes couple seconds later.

pls help me fix it.

thanks

Darren

Staff member
Might sound weird but try creating a new user account, sign into that one, and try it there. I've seen Windows 10 profiles get corrupted, especially during some of the earlier updates, and give issues like this with the taskbar not working properly.

ANNR

Thanks guys.

I can't get the settings to open so I can't get to my accounts page to create a new account.

Darren

Staff member
Thanks guys.

I can't get the settings to open so I can't get to my accounts page to create a new account.
Yeah this sounds like that exact issue then.

If you hold down shift and select restart (can do it from the lock screen) it'll kick you into the recovery menu. Hold shift until it reboots after you click restart and should give you some recovery options. From there I'd try a system restore or if you're feeling brave dive into the command prompt and create a new user from the command line to test my theory.

https://www.wikihow.com/Add-Users-from-CMD

ANNR

I can't format or restore it because the pc has a POS system installed and if I restore it I will loss the POS licence.

I just tried adding the user but the CMD does not show up like the settings app, so I used powershell, not sure if it is the same.

I tried login out but it just hangs on the black screen with the mouse pointer and did nothing.

Last edited:

Darren

Staff member
System Restore doesn't affect licensing at all.

Powershell is CMD + a bunch of other features so it should have worked for that purpose.