Start fresh or...?

-Piter

Hey everyone,

I've had a pre-built pc for quite a while now and recently bought a 2560x1080 display and my pc is not able to handle the new games now, Here are the specs: i7-4770 16 gb ram gtx 660. I was wondering if i should start fresh and build a new pc or is it better to get a new case, transfer over let's say the i7 and ram upgrade the graphics card and the psu which isn't that great either. The only problem with that is that the motherboard i have is also pretty old (2AF3 motherboard). Should that be a problem?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I would first start out with a better video card and upgraded power supply. What kind of budget do you have? Since you have an HP, it would be in your best interest to transfer mb to new case. I've had good luck with transferring HP's to retail cases without any issue especially with the front panel connectors.

-Piter

300$ would be my budget, 400$ at a max if there was anything a bit better for a bit more money. Is there any specific case i would have to get to fit my motherboard in ?

beers

Staff member
4770 should be fine for a while, 660 was midrange when it came out and is a few generations behind.

If you already have a decent power supply you should just be able to upgrade the graphics card and be done.

What specific model of PSU is it?

-Piter

The psu is bad i definitely have to upgrade it, its like a 460w i think, and i'd like to change the pre-built pc case aswell, dont really like it. What cards should i be looking at atm?

beers

Staff member
If going with the 1060 just make sure it is the 6gb version. The 3 GB version also contains less cuda cores making it slower as a result.

There's also the radeon 480 or 580 as a reasonable value proposition in that price bracket