Start up Problem

Skooky

I just built a new comp, and when i go to start it up, it starts out fine ( fans running, lights on, I can get into BIOS setup). Then after a period of anywhere from 5 seconds to five minutes, it just shuts off, but the power light flashes. The system is definately economy, but it should at least stay on.

Specs:
Chaintech 7NJL6 socket A
Amd Athlon 2900+
geforce fx 5200 (works, it was from a previous comp)
Maxtor 120 GB HDD
Samsung DVD+-RW
Generic CD-ROM
Generic 450W PSU

I think it might have something to do with the cooling system, because if I leave it sit for a while, it stays on longer. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

-Skooky

randruff

If you beleive it is a cooling issue, open the case and spray all of the dust out. Check and make sure every fan is spinning. Also, if you go into BIOS, it should tell you your cpu temp, check and see how hot it is running.

Lax

VIP Member
Could be a number of things that could be causing it. From the sounds of it though and past experience it sounds like it might be a cooling issue (like you had said). Check the temp of the CPU in the BIOS or in windows using something like Hardware Monitor or the like. If it turns out the temp of the CPU is fine then you might wanna check the PSU rails (also using something like Hardware Monitor)

hatajay

It could be: 1. power supply fleaking out; 2. MB BIOS needs to be updated. For power supply you may want to check this company out: www.orangehope.com; I got one from them, very nice, stable, and their customer service is easy to talk to(....unlike some big companies....lol......)

Skooky

First off, thank you for all your replies. Secondly, i was trying different MoBo configurations, and the one that seems to allow the comp to operate properly was to switch the CPU bus frequency from 133/166/200 MHz (the default) to 100 MHz, essentially underclocking it. Therefore i end up with the CPU speed being about 1 GHz instead of 2.08. When i try switching it back the 133/166/200, i am again confronted with the orginal problem. If anyone has any suggestions they would be greatly appreciated.

-Skooky

randruff

This is kind of odd. To be honest, i am not sure what is the problem but ill speak in theory as to how i would handle the situation. If you happen to have another computer around that is the same cpu socket, i would try the cpu in that computer. I guess i would do this only to eliminate the cpu itself as the cause. My line of thinking is that when you are essentially underclocking it and it runs fine thats because its not processing as much/fast, therefore, not heating up as hot. When you have it clocked normally through bios and it shuts down and restarts, jump into bios and let us know what temp your cpu is running at.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
1. Is that an AthlonXP 2800?
2. What's the HSF on the system there? :)
3. Likely culprits: cpu overheating or voltages not stable