starting from scratch: opinions?

DrRoboto

im stuck at a kinda of a cross roads. im trying to build a computer on at most $1800USD. it will be for dvdburning gaming and running autocad/solidworks/edgecam.
what im trying to figure out is what to start with, i dont mind spending some cash on a good proccessor and mobo, but i want something that can handle all that with out having to struggle. my last computer was a dell inspiron 4000 and it was slow, even then. it was 1ghz with 256mb of ram and a 8mb video card. it would overheat easly and had many problems.
ive read the cpu101 thread and cant deside on what to pick, i like the amds specs and good gaming tendencies, but i like the intels for the 2d/3d drawing work ill end up doing.
so starting from scratch, what would you guys/gals recommend?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
it will be for dvdburning gaming and running autocad/solidworks/edgecam.
1. Oooooh someone else that uses Solidworks :)
2. Can u elaborate on the intensity of the tasks involved (i.e., do you intend to play Doom3 @ stupid-high settings or do some extensive modelling with Solidworks or get deep into DVD encoding etc)

ive read the cpu101 thread and cant deside on what to pick, i like the amds specs and good gaming tendencies, but i like the intels for the 2d/3d drawing work ill end up doing.
so starting from scratch, what would you guys/gals recommend?
Well unless you have a hardcore tendency one way or the other (i.e., 90% of your time is spent gaming or working etc) then it probably doesnt matter all that much and you should settle for the cheapest configuration. Things get a bit complicated if you want to overclock (have a look at this) but the general principle of get the cheapest setup that gets the job done tends to work

I will tentatively suggest an AMD setup pending more information :)

DrRoboto

although i like the idea of playing doom at stupid high settings :) i doubt that i would, but i would like the option. solidworks would mostly be for machining purposes, and i dont think any thing extensive. nothing serious for dvds just some "back ups" :rolleyes: i dont really care to overclock but i see it as an avenue that if i wanted to run the computer faster that i would have to ability to do so.

edit: BTW what do you use solidworks for?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
i doubt that i would, but i would like the option. solidworks would mostly be for machining purposes, and i dont think any thing extensive. nothing serious for dvds just some "back ups"
In this case, I dont think you're going to notice an earth-shattering difference whether you go AMD or Intel ... i'd recommend the Intel route as i dont judge your other applications (and your useage level) as being heavily making use of any benifits of intel silicon.

edit: BTW what do you use solidworks for?
Not much anymore ... did a bit last term with my M.Eng course .... this time around it's all in equation form ;)

Redline memory is, IMO, overkill for his intentions and requires a bit of 'maintainence'

ripken2004

Praetor said:
Redline memory is, IMO, overkill for his intentions and requires a bit of 'maintainence'

ur right, he can just get something else if he doesnt want to overclock and an xp-90, but do u think the comp will be good for him?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
IMO, the system is good but overkill for what he's intending to use it for.
- Swap the 68GT for a 66GT
- Ditch the 8ms LCD for a 12ms or 16ms one
- Switch the mobo to MSI K8N Neo4 and you can drop the soundcard
- Although nothing wrong with the DVDBurner, NEC/Pioneer has more bang for buck
- As noted, scratch the RAM for something like say 2x512 Corsair ValueSelect
- With all that extra money ... if you're inclined too ... jack the proc to a Athlon64 X2 ... or save it for later

DrRoboto

thnks for the advice guys. time to add it up and think hard
whats a good brand of LCD screens? never owned one but ive heard of dead pixels.

Last edited:

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
whats a good brand of LCD screens? never owned one but ive heard of dead pixels.
Well Samsung, since 2005, has had a 0-dead pixel policy ... if you find a single dead pixel ... anywehre ... they'll replace the screen .... so im assuming they're doing something right. I dont know if any other makes have such policies

ripken2004

wow that nice to know prae, a bunch of companies have 8 or more and that rly sucks

edit: is it newegg's policy for the pixels if u shop from them? b/c it says that for samsungs its 8, i think every monitor is 8

edit again: just found a vry helpful link with the warranties of many companies, most of them suck big time
http://www.behardware.com/articles/519-1/lcd-screens-dead-pixels.html

i went thru it and hitachi, samsung, amd viewsonic are the only lcd's worth getting b/c of the policy

all 3 say that if 1 black or 1 white dead pixel is there then u get to return it, but the sub-pixels are alot(colored pixels)

and now im rly thining of getting this soon
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824116355

and now another edit:
http://www.viewsonic.com/support/qa.cfm?topic=lcd&question=01
here viewsonice says 7 pixels so apparently that site b4 is messed up

and samsung says 10
http://erms.samsungusa.com/customer...?PG_ID=1&AT_ID=5608&PROD_SUB_ID=28&PROD_ID=-1

so something is rly screwed

Last edited:

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
wow that nice to know prae, a bunch of companies have 8 or more and that rly sucks
I dunno if there is any fine print to that policy mind you ... read about it in MaxPC to be honest ... but since i dont ever intend to get an LCD ill never find out

edit: is it newegg's policy for the pixels if u shop from them? b/c it says that for samsungs its 8, i think every monitor is 8
I believe that is if u decide to RMA with Newegg ... if you RMA to Samsung that would be different

@ripken: helpful yes, but lets avoid hijaking threads :)