Starting up Windows XP

smafi2000

Some PC when you startup Windows XP, log-on logo show up, when you click on the name icon then desktop show up, and some PC when you startup Windows XP it go to your desktop straight? :confused:

Can anyone tell me how do I go straight to my desktop when I turn on my PC? I wish I know how to put picture on this thread so you can see what I mean.

Thank you for your help and advice. :)

Last edited:

Bartmasta

banned
Start -> Control Panel -> User Accounts -> Change the way users log on and off -> Turn off use the welcome screen

K

smafi2000

Thanks, I did as instructed, but now it shows a classic logon box which requires me to type my name and password :(, I like to be able to go straight to my desktop when I turn on my PC. Thank you.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Delete the password and instead of disabling the logon screen, disable "Enable fast user switching".

Bartmasta

banned
Yeah delete your password but I don't think disableing fast user switching will do anything. You can try though.

chibicitiberiu

I'll tell you a way to do it even though you have multiple user accounts; only works in windows xp.

1. Go to http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx and download the PowerToy called TweakUI. Install it.
2. Open the application (usually there is a shortcut in Start -> All Programs -> Powertoys for Windows XP)
3. Press the plus sign near the Logon, select Autologon and check the Log on automatically at system startup box in the right panel. Enter the username.
4. Press the Set Password button and type twice the password that you use to log in.
5. Press OK or Apply if you want to try other features in this app.

smafi2000

Thank you so much for responding to my aid, my PC setup is a single user account and I never have password on my account I just click on the “icon” or the “ok” box to go to the desktop.

I don’t understand what it mean by “delete your password” is this the same as having no password?

I have tried all of the above instructed and still the icon show up :mad:, I did not install PowerToy yet, I like to try to do this without a 3rd party software if I can, if there is not other way of doing this then I’ll install PowerToy :(.

Thank you again and God Bless you,

Last edited: