Startup Error

Charlie7940

Hey everyone

I had this old computer laying around that was full of dust, so I took everything apart and cleaned it all out. After I re-assembled, I fired the baby up and I get these 3 consecutive beeping noises...It will go "beep beep beep" and then hold for a second and repeat the three beeps the whole time. I can hear the PSU spinning, but I don't get any signal on my monitor either. Once again this pc is very old.

Anyone know what could possibly be wrong?

Thanks,

Charlie

Charlie7940

I'm thinking this could be a memory error...I'm gonna swap memory sticks and see if anything happens. It's running on PC133 memory.

Lax

VIP Member
Is it a custom built or a prebuilt machine? The BIOS beeps are trying to tell you what's wrong.

Charlie7940

It's a prebuilt Gateway machine...I think I fixed it though. It turns out it was a memory error, I switched memory sticks and now everything appears to be ok. The only problem is that the working ram is only 128mb...is this enough to install windowsXP on? It's only going to be used for word processing, internet browsing, nothing heavy.

spacedude89

mmm, i dont think thats enough, xp itself uses about 256, it might work, but if it does its gonna run crappy

IPXP

I've got XP Pro running on 128mb RAM and it's running OK so far, though I will be upgrading to 512mg. And I don't run anything major on it just office packages, web browser, kazaa...

Yep ur system with 128mb will run fine on windows xp m8 ...i ran windows xp on 64mb ram just for websurfing downloading etc ..