Startup problem

thewarboy234

My computer is a very cobbled together hung of electronics, has windows 2000 on it and an old mobo. Sometimes if it is turned off, it won't turn on unless I push a certain place on the button battery, and even then that doesn't always work. Any idea why this won't work?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Are you saying the cmos battery on the motherboard? The board will still work without a battery in it. I have a feeling you have a crack in the motherboard, so it looks like you need to get a new system.

thewarboy234

It runs fine, its just starting that has a problem. I probably do need to get a new one though. I am going to get a whole new computer soon, and I am going to use whichever one runs better for personal use and the other for work, so I'd like to get this problem fixed.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
What does the machine actually do when it doesn't want to boot up? Does the machine turn on at all?

thewarboy234

No, I don't get any power at all. It may be the power button, but then why would pushing on the spot on the battery on the motherboard help?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Like I said, it seems you have a crack in your motherboard I would assume. PC will still work with cmos battery in it. cmos battery is only used to save bios settings.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I have no idea exactly where, big enough to break electrical contact breaking a circuit. And it has to be somewhere near the battery location.