Startup problems

crashnscar

I recently took out a HDD from my computer (no system files on the HDD) to put in a different computer and my computer wouldn't start. It would give me a "NTDLR is missing" error. I stuck the other HDD back in and it still gave me the error. I tried booting from the CD, re-installing Windows 2000 Advanced Server, and repairing the OS. None of it worked.
I had just bought a new 200gb drive and decided to stick that in there as the primary drive and create a new partition and format it. I did so and installed Windows 2000 Advanced Server on the newly created partition. It was at the stage where it restarts and you start using "windows" and have a mouse and everything. It was restarting and when it says "Verifying DMI Pool Data...." followed by "Boot from ATAPI CD-ROM: Press any key to boot from CD....". The problem is right after that, it now says "Error loading operating system".

I have absolutely no clue what to do and have tried repairing this install. I've tried to do a "FIXBOOT" also. Nothing is working.

This is on an old computer of mine that I have running as a server. Please let me know if you need more info.

Thanks
Nick

BTW. Was running fine until I took the HDD out.

Classic_house

Yes you have deleted you NTDLR file happens a lot.. Dont worry... Download this on another machine... http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/download.html (UBCD Basic) Version... Its about 90 MB... Mount the iso and you have a boot disk for cd.. Go into it and it will say something like operating system boot disks load one and the install windows via this.. It creates a ram drive partition bypassing the need for the NTDLR search....

If it was me i would Fdisk and format before a reinstall but that is up to you!!

Hope this helps let me know ok!!

Last edited:

crashnscar

Classic_house said:
Yes you have deleted you NTDLR file happens a lot.. Dont worry... Download this on another machine... http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/download.html (UBCD Basic) Version... Its about 90 MB... Mount the iso and you have a boot disk for cd.. Go into it and it will say something like operating system boot disks load one and the install windows via this.. It creates a ram drive partition bypassing the need for the NTDLR search....

If it was me i would Fdisk and format before a reinstall but that is up to you!!

Hope this helps let me know ok!!

So, you're saying download the ISO image (Basic) and write it to a CD. Then boot the computer with that CD and I should be able to get it to work fine?

I ultimately want the server running on the 13gb HDD for the OS and programs and the 200gb for all the other crap.

Thanks for the help.

EDIT: Also can't find where to download the ISO image, so I'll just download the zip, extract it, and burn it.

Classic_house

Do you know how to format the drive? If so format your drive first...

The boot disk will not boot you into windows. It will boot you into a temp ram drive from this ram drive you can Format/ Look at disk problems/ Load a windows boot disk... From the windows boot disk you can install windows. You will have to reinstall windows.. But you reinstall via the boot disk. Reinstalling windows will replace the lost file...

Ps you mount the image... turn off your computer.. Go to your bios boot cd first... restart and let the cd boot. You can download either the EXE or zip file they are boththe same.. EXE is a self extraction

Last edited:

crashnscar

Why would this help any more than installing a new drive and doing it from scratch? I've already tried doing that and it still won't install.

Classic_house

Your new drive does not have the NTLDR file.... This way you can install a new operating system via dos ... Bypassing the need for a windows boot....

Last edited:

Classic_house

If you do not wish to Install via dos then you will need to replace your missing NTLDR file read this..... http://www.thpc.info/dual/repairdualboot.html

This should help... But it is a headache.. Good luck hope it helps...

If you downloaded the file i told you you already have a boot disk so there is no need to create another.... Miss this section as th UBD is by far a better booting disk than the standard versions...

Last edited: