Static/Crackling Sound

Pete-Rock

Hi,

For quite a while my pc has been making a crackling type sound. To get rid of the problem I would place the palm of my hand on the top of the pc and i would be able to hear aubible sounds clearly. If I remove it then it either comes on/off intermittently or not at all.

I took the casing off, checked everything inside and it all seemed ok. If it helps, the casing is metal/aluminium.

Any ideas?

thanks

Peter

Twist86

That would scare the crap out of me...only time I heard a crackling sound was my motherboard wanting to catch fire.

Another thing you might want to do is invest in some rubber and line the bottom of your case with it. I find it helpful to prevent it moving + keeps it grounded. I also do it to my hard drive to prevent vibration rattles.

Pete-Rock

Ok.

So I'll just lay some rubber beneath the PC and that should do it?

The table it rests upon is glass and the frame is steel. Would that contribute to the problem?

The entire power supply and sockets had been rewired 3 years ago and were tested. I also use a 'surge guard' extension sockets that my pc, printer, modem's plugged into.

I will buy some rubber (for the pc!) and let you know.

Thanks for your help.

Pete

Pete-Rock

Managed to sort the problem. Popped into Maplin's and they recommended anti-static wrist strap. Clipped it to the pc and to the pc desk frame. So far so good.

Cheers.