Static on receiving end of sound

NewEdgeGT

Im not sure if this belongs in this section or not but I have an issue where people or a video capture program has static in the sound. Ive tried multiple headsets/mics and all with the same issue thinking it was a hardware problem. There is no static in the sound for me but only for people on their end or in a recording program. Ive tried updating sound and input driver, but they are all up to date. I'm not sure what to do next. Im on Windows 10, any help would be greatly appreciated.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Can you try it on a different computer? Also is this on a prebuilt or custom built pc?

NewEdgeGT

its a custom built pc. i have tried 2 mics but it does the same for both mics and it doesnt happen on my other pc.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Which usb is the headset plugged into? The ones on the front of the case or the back of the motherboard? Sounds like you have a short or grounding issue. If the front, have you tried the back ones?

NewEdgeGT

They were originally plugged into the motherboard then swapped into the case usb with the same issue. At first I thought it was a ground issue but there is no static through speakers or headphones

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Is it possible for you to take the motherboard out of the case and try it that way? It still could be a short in the usb's or something up with the motherboard. Has it done it ever since it was new?