Stay away from Acer Laptops

janrob

Well, I have an Acer Laptop. At first it was working fine, but after 6 months, I noticed it was pretty difficult to have it on a surface where air does not flow.

What happens here, well it gets to hot and shutdown itself.

Not really recommended.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Any laptop will overheat and shut down if there is no air circulation underneath it.

Acer is far better with their quality than they used to be.

janrob

I am not sure whether they are better. The laptop is pretty, but It cannot stay a lot of time doing a time consuming cpu procedure because it overheats and shut down even with ventilation.

I am not sure whether they are better. The laptop is pretty, but It cannot stay a lot of time doing a time consuming cpu procedure because it overheats and shut down even with ventilation.

Its probably dodgy thermal compound. If it was a widespread problem then the company would withdraw it, as it would be a fire hazard.

janrob

Its probably dodgy thermal compound. If it was a widespread problem then the company would withdraw it, as it would be a fire hazard.

Yeah probably, but it seems I am not the only one having trouble with acer laps.

A friend is having the same problem.

superhoppa

Disagree highly. I've had my Acer Aspire for 2 and a half years and only now I'm just about to get a new one. It didn't even have that good of specs when i first got it. If i didn't drop it so much it could probably last another 6 months.

strollin

You can't make a recommendation regarding the quality of of a given product based solely on a small sample of yours and a buddy's experience.

I've never used an Acer laptop but we have 5 Acer Aspire netbooks in our family, some as old as 3+ years. We have never had any problems with any of them. However, I see people on the net complaining about theirs. Acer doesn't have a stellar reputation for quality but my personal experience has been good.

My point is that your individual experience or my individual experience does not accurately reflect the overall quality of Acer products. You need to look at a larger sample such as this report: Rescuecom 2012 Computer Reliability Report.

As you can see, Acer was ranked dead last in reliability which does match your experience but that doesn't invalidate my point. Lenovo was ranked #1 but I'm sure you could find someone out there telling their friends and associates to stay away from Lenovo laptops based on their personal experience.

wolfeking

banned
I personal experiences with Acer products ranks right up there with HP. a few bad and 2 good. Personally I don't generally recommend them just because of their cheap feel compared to others. Sister has the Acer netbook (I don't know the model right off the top of my head), and she has had no issues that was not fixed by replacing the RAM. Used a Aspire 5552 which was complete junk. Keyboard keys refuse to stay attached, and the overall design is just garbage. Feels like a cheap toy rather than a computer. The one before that was the same series, but with a i3/gt540m. It was crap too. GPU died within weeks. Sent it in to be fixed, which they did, and the problem rerepresented again within a week. So gave up on that one. Had a m6750, which is just a acer with a Gateway sticker, and it worked brilliantly for over a year. Only quelm I had with it was the ridiculously small resolution.

But Like I said, I don't recommend them because they feel cheap. That is more of a build quality issue (in my eyes), than a issue with the parts inside it.

strollin

It's interesting to me that Wolfeking is complaining about the cheap feel of the Acers. As I mentioned, we have 5 Acer Aspire netbooks in our family but we also have 2 ASUS eeePC netbooks. I personally don't care for the ASUS netbooks as they feel cheap to me, especially the keyboard. I much prefer the keyboard and general overall feeling of the Acer netbooks.

wolfeking

banned
Let me qualify what I mean by it feels cheap. If I push down on the corner of the laptop, it should cause the other side to raise up while maintaining the flat laptop base. If I do that on the acers, the entire base warps a bit. It is poorly engineered. The netbooks don't have the issue due to size and the properties of PET that it is made form. They would break before warping.

I have never used an Asus laptop to compare. But from my Dells, and the couple of HPs that I have had, the keyboards of the acers are junk.

swchoi89

Let me qualify what I mean by it feels cheap. If I push down on the corner of the laptop, it should cause the other side to raise up while maintaining the flat laptop base. If I do that on the acers, the entire base warps a bit. It is poorly engineered. The netbooks don't have the issue due to size and the properties of PET that it is made form. They would break before warping.

I have never used an Asus laptop to compare. But from my Dells, and the couple of HPs that I have had, the keyboards of the acers are junk.

I'm gonna have to agree with you on this. My girlfriend has an ASUS laptop, it is built rock solid, keyboard is very nice. Acer can't compare.... but I hope they catch up soon.

spirit

Staff member
I must admit, I've used a variety of laptops over the years (customer's machines mainly). Acer and HP tend to be a bit hit and miss. I've actually found Dell to have some of the best quality laptops.

wolfeking

banned
eh, on best quality, I would have to give it to Thinkpads built by IBM. Then second is a tie between Dell Precision and the Lenovo Thinkpads.

Life

banned
Of all the acer's we have had in this family, we have had no problems. Acer's are good, and you cannot base a recommendation on one problem. And every laptop will have over heating problems.

swchoi89

Of all the acer's we have had in this family, we have had no problems. Acer's are good, and you cannot base a recommendation on one problem. And every laptop will have over heating problems.

Not ASUS, sorry. Doesn't "heat up" like normal laptops do.

My sister has Samsung Series 9 Ultrabook, and doesn't heat up either.

Same goes with my HP Elitebook 8560w (from work), heat is not an issue.

We also elaborated on other features like build quality, key areas like the keyboards.

wolfeking

banned
Thinkpads went down the hill after Lenovo acquired it from IBM or something?
not really down hill, but the structural rigidity of the design dropped a little bit.

Let me say that a little different. They started adding more things into the design (card readers, fingerprint readers, firewire, more USB ports, etc) while using the same chassis. This caused them to remove some of the reinforcement that was in older models. It is still a very rugged design, but not as rugged as the IBM thinkpads.

spirit

Staff member
eh, on best quality, I would have to give it to Thinkpads built by IBM. Then second is a tie between Dell Precision and the Lenovo Thinkpads.

Ah yes, IBM ThinkPads. Can't believe I forgot about those. Yes, those things were tanks. Better built than just about any laptop.