Stay away from Acer Laptops

wolfeking

banned
They are better built than most american cars. :/ Wish I had one, but the precision is a fine machine too. Besides the SATA I bottleneck, there is nothing wrong with it.

speedyink

VIP Member
Posting this on my Acer laptop which is like 3 or 4 years old. Never had issues, except for the ones it got from getting soda spilled on it and being thrown at people by ex girlfriends (there was a reason I got it for real cheap), and even those issues are very minimal (still using it aren't I?)

swchoi89

Posting this on my Acer laptop which is like 3 or 4 years old. Never had issues, except for the ones it got from getting soda spilled on it and being thrown at people by ex girlfriends (there was a reason I got it for real cheap), and even those issues are very minimal (still using it aren't I?)

Typing on my LG,,, been 5 years.. nearly broken but performs very well. I can say the same about the life-expectancy but if it had been an another manufacturer, might have had different experience.

TrainTrackHack

VIP Member
Not that singular personal experiences mean a lot, since everyone's sharing theirs, I have my mum's old Acer sitting in the box which went out a couple of years back taking out a good hard drive with it. No signs of life at all, it seems to be completely dead and went out without a warning.

Though now that we're at it, the Acer did have a bigger heatsink (and fan) than a compaq laptop I have (and which I suspect died of overheating), even though they both were rated to support 35W TDP processors. At least that was a pleasant surprise (not a very useful one, but still).

GaryCantley

Well, I have an Acer Laptop. At first it was working fine, but after 6 months, I noticed it was pretty difficult to have it on a surface where air does not flow.

What happens here, well it gets to hot and shutdown itself.

Not really recommended.

They're designed to do that.

If it was very hot outside and you are working hard, at some point, you'll keel over and stop working.

Have you tried clearing any dust from the fans? Amazing the amount of rubbish that is picked up.

BTW, I have an ASUS laptop and would not have anything different.

wbt50

I haven't had the best experiences with Acer as I had my Acer laptop die on me after 1 year. But I rarely get any pleasant experiences with computers haha

i_hate_toms

I have a friend who's been using an acer notebook for the last 6 years. No problems at all!
Except that the optical drive and battery don't function any more, but the rest of the laptop works great! He's even installed Windows 8 on it!
You probably have a defective unit. Get it serviced by an authorized technician, they can fix almost everything :)

Ant98

It's the second time I have bought an Acer laptop and am very satisfied with the performance. You problem is specific. It wouldn't be fair to generalize.

My Acer is a little over 7 years old. I've applied thermal paste twice and just did a complete reinstall of Windows Vista because... well, he's seven years old. I took him to school for a year and decided he was waaaaay too heavy so he became a home-laptop. He lives on a cooling pad (not plugged in, just slanted for nice viewing and air circulation). I haven't noticed any overheating issues because as soon as I do I check for dust and reapply paste if needed. So far that's always been the problem.

Honestly, I've found both Acers (mine and my parents) run fine with some TLC. Sure, I can't play games or do intensive computing but I don't really do either often enough to want something more expensive and powerful. IMHO, however, desktops are a lot less of a PITA to maintain, replace parts, run without burning something, etc.

I did have a horrible experience with an Asus eee 1005HA but this is an Acer thread...

speedyink

VIP Member
I did have a horrible experience with an Asus eee 1005HA but this is an Acer thread...

Hey, no bashing the Asus eee's. I still have my beloved 900HA, which is still kicking after tons of use and being taken apart multiple times to add things or upgrade it (had to take it right apart to get the touchscreen kit in there)

Currency

Well, I have an Acer Laptop. At first it was working fine, but after 6 months, I noticed it was pretty difficult to have it on a surface where air does not flow.

What happens here, well it gets to hot and shutdown itself.

Not really recommended.

My family has three laptops, one of those mini things, among other computer related ACER products that work better than my high end Razor products. My Acer's nearly two years old and works just as good as when it was new. It was around $500 new so I don't use it for CPU intensive applications and games, that's why they make desktops.

My girlfriend owns a dell, won't say much else there. But with any product, you win some, you lose some. Now my 23" Acer LCD has one annoying dead pixel but I'm upgrading to dual 24" LED's next month. :)

Perhaps your lappy needs a good cleaning? I lay in bed with mine sitting on the covers for hours browsing the web without any issues, but mine only gets used when I'm in bed, down stairs, or if you must know, on the pot. :eek: