STEAM Speeds

Discussion in 'Computer Games and Consoles' started by Laquer Head, May 21, 2011.

1. Laquer Head

Laquer Head Well-Known Member

I've recently started using Steam to get myself a few games and I'm a bit of a noob in this regard.

I have heard a number of you say how awesome Steam is, which I agree on, but also at how fast the speeds for d/l games are..

This is where I disagree, I'm downloading a game right now and I get 294 KB/s max...

It takes a good half day, at least, to get a game and I was hoping someone knows some tweak, tips, or settings to put in that might boost this??

Thanks.

2. jimmymac

jimmymac VIP Member

are you set to a server thats close to you?

worth checking to ensure that its not for some reason got you trying to download from somewhere halfway across the world!

go to Steam>settings>downloads tab

check in there that your location is correct

3. Laquer Head

I checked that and I am connected to a server in Vancouver B.C., and I'm in Calgary, AB so it appears to be the closest--(Not many Canada Choices)

4. linkin

linkin VIP Member

If your ISP has a steam server, try using that one.

5. Laquer Head

How would I know this??

6. JareeB

JareeB Active Member

what is your internet rated at? do you have like dsl or dail up or highspeed internet?

7. Laquer Head

high speed...

8. JareeB

JareeB Active Member

oh okay

9. Laquer Head

Over 6 hours later and not even at 60%....lame

10. Troncoso

Troncoso VIP Member

You could try another server that's close to you. There could be some issue with that one in specific.

11. Aastii

Aastii VIP Member

Restart Steam. You can sometimes get stuck with it at "slow" speeds which restarting can potentially fix. It depends too on server load and what game you are downloading.

Also, try going to Steam > Settings > Downloads+Cloud and set the speed of your connection to the closest one to what you have

12. Laquer Head

its now at 87% and speed is at 314KB/s....meh

13. Intel_man

Intel_man VIP Member

The closest isn't always the best. I get mediocre speeds with the Vancouver server but if I connect to the Washington DC server, I get amazing speeds.

14. Laquer Head

I guess I feel that 11 hours to download a game is ridiculous!

15. linkin

linkin VIP Member

Well I have Internode as my ISP. I'm in NSW, Australia. Steam has an "Australia - NSW (Internode)" server, so I use that one. Have no problems maxing out my connection. If you want to find out your internet speed, stop any programs that use bandwidth and go to www.speedtest.net and run the test. Post the result here. Find a steam server that is closest to your city.