Steam sux ars

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
Who else thinks what they have done to the game Half life 2 is just STUPID! I mean come on! you have to activate it in order to play it. I bought the game and was very dissapointed to learn I had to spend half an hour to activate the dumb thing then to do the same on my Fiances computer so I can play lan with a buddy. Then to realize that I cannot because I need the CD in the machine in order to run and I've not been able to get a working copy of disk 1 because of the protection which I dont think is needed because they require you to activate the damn thing anyhow.

I love Half Life 2 and think it's the single best game I've ever played and spent money on but It Royaly pisses me off to have to activate the damn thing and then to launch the game takes twice as long as it should because it does that dumb steam crap b4 launch. Why the hell could they have left that out of the offline and just used it for online?!! Also I guess those that dont have an internet connection can just forget it because you cant play it.

Just ranting :).. thought it was the dumbest thing I've ever seen anyone do to a game. they Boys should start calling themself's Microsoft.

ak_hitman_47

Alright...

First off I would like to ask you why you posted this? What do you hope to gain out of this? I think Steam is a very nice program. No program is perfect so yeah it has its flaws but there arent as many as you seem to be exaggerating there to be.

jancz3rt

<b>VIP Member</b>
I thinkit's the principal...

I think that Half Life 2 has taken the protection too far anyway. I mean I think that if a game requires an internet connection for people to play it and essentially activate it, then it is loosing out on the ammount of people it can get. Not EVERYONE has internet access. And even if they do, is it not annoying to have to go through the internet....i mean it would make sense for activation, but for gameplay??? I think that's worthless!

JAN :D

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
First off I would like to ask you why you posted this? What do you hope to gain out of this? I think Steam is a very nice program. No program is perfect so yeah it has its flaws but there arent as many as you seem to be exaggerating there to be.

Well you ask what i hope to get out of this so I'll tell ya.. I want everyone to hate Half Life 2 and to buy my game called GET BENT HITMAN..

LOL I think you must have something wrong with you mentaly to have taken my post personal which you must have to have gotten upset... I could be wrong but my Fiance is a physcologist so i'll ask her to be certain... Anyhow numb nut there is not exagerating and yesterday it took a freaking half hour to unlock files through steam on the other computer using DSL... Also tell me this smarty pants, Y in the hell should some one have an internet connection to play a game offline? Meanwhile back at the bat cave brain-e-ack! i'm not complaining about how well Steam does it's job but rather it's use entirely! I mean come on what's it got to do with offline play besides updating the game and such and oh ya "Copy Protection!" Please there mister steam lover but I believe I bought my copy of HL2 and am annoyed at sitting in front of my computer for neearly an hour installing a game that should take more then 3/4 less.

So when you read this there Hitman and feel the sad feeling :) know this. these forums are not meant for attacking someone and what I said was 100% how it went down and not exaggerated in the least.

So it's pretty cleer then Y I posted it? because I see it as a problem ;-). Oh and just b4 you feel like attacking me again firstly google the subject and you will learn that there's sooooooooooooooo many people out there that's been more then bothered by this so go and get pissy with them. Also I'm bothered by this because I would hate for other game developers to think this is a good idea because it's not there my friend its a bad idea and if that would become reality then I would think I'd be done with any sort of PC game and the console would then truly reign supreme! :).

RhodriM

I now agree. It sucks. I have an internet connection, but the University is very anal and block a load of ports etc which prevents a lot of programs from running - Steam for example.

I appreciate Valve's concern over security, but it isn't really very good service when you spend £30 on a game and can't play it.

I got all excited this morning when it turned up too :'(

Randomperson

Blue said:
Well you ask what i hope to get out of this so I'll tell ya.. I want everyone to hate Half Life 2 and to buy my game called GET BENT HITMAN..

As much as you pissed me off by making such a retarded diss, I will help you anyway. If you only have 1 disc 1, but want to play lan with two computers, start one game up, remove the disc and put it in the other computer. You need the disc to start hl2, but once it's started you don't.

P11

VIP Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue

As much as you pissed me off by making such a retarded diss, I will help you anyway. If you only have 1 disc 1, but want to play lan with two computers, start one game up, remove the disc and put it in the other computer. You need the disc to start hl2, but once it's started you don't.

If you ask me blue's diss seemed appropriate at the moment. :D

TyC7AFguy

I don't know what you guys are talking about saying that you can't play HL2 without a net connection? I was at a LAN party the other day (notice LAN, no internet connection available) and a friend of mine started HL2 on his computer without a internet connection. I don't remember how exactly he did it. If I remeber right I think he just went into the HL2 folder a double clicked the .exe file. Anyways, I saw him play without a connection. If my advice is wrong could someone please jump in here who has played HL2 offline and gives us some help.

I am about to get the game w/ my new computer and I would like to be able to play without being connected to the net as well.

jancz3rt

<b>VIP Member</b>
This is not a place to discuss how...

Well let me tell you that your friend most probably had the altered version of the original (basically cracked). That's how he did it. One thing, the guy who made that patch, has been jailed and hunted down with the help of valve. So I will tell you one thing, if you do not need to go through Steam, then the version you have is illegal or legal but patched.

JAN :D

Fire

I GOT HL2 with my sapphire vid card and i didnt wanna wait 8 weeks for half life i mean who the hell in there right mine would

so then i find out i had to use STEAM what a royal piece of sh*t that thing is! HL has been mutalated only people smoking pot do that to such a great game. oh well they made a huge mistake by doing this! i hope no1 else chooses this path..............

P11

VIP Member
Blue: Then to realize that I cannot because I need the CD in the machine in order to run and I've not been able to get a working copy of disk 1 because of the protection which I dont think is needed because they require you to activate the damn thing anyhow.

When i installed HL2 i left the cd in my comp but when i brought it over to my friends house and forgot the cd i ran it and it allowed me to play. Maybe you only need the cd to run HL2DM??

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
Wow this is an old one so I'm sorry for digging er out of the closet! :) but I just wanted to point out what most people did not understand what I meant or perhaps I did not make myself clear as I have a habbit of doing that also :)..

What I meant was that you definatly need to go online to "Activate" Half life 2 and then you can play of course being offline but you still need to initially go online to activate the game b4 offline play can be achieved :)..

I'm also glad to see that some enjoyed my smart ass comments ;-) thanks.

4W4K3

VIP Member
lol i see why Praetor dislikes the Half Life series...so many problems.

I haven't even playd HL2, Doom3, FarCry...any game that came out in the last year i probably havent played or seen played. When i get a decent rig i'm sure most of the problems will be sorted...

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
lol i see why Praetor dislikes the Half Life series...so many problems

Praetor Nooooooooo! LOL I actualy did not like the first half life myself but half life 2 quickly became a fav of mine :).. Although honestly I got it because I like the graphics It turned out to have equaly great gameplay :)..

anthonyrstanley

Dudder i can't agree more Steam = SUXORZ

I purchased HL2 and i had to be connected to the web just to play Single player i must of missied a step or something..

Buttt what if someone that isn't aloud to have the inter-course (course of networks) wants to play that game. well i am just pitching a Fit. buttttt still Steam should rot in hell. Eww pluss if you are a hacker you get banned for long time so i quite playing CS cause i was banned once pissy day.... Also i don't hack any more. I think i switched To EQ2 it is fun and new to me.

anthonyrstanley

Burp

4W4K3 said:
lol i see why Praetor dislikes the Half Life series...so many problems.

I haven't even playd HL2, Doom3, FarCry...any game that came out in the last year i probably havent played or seen played. When i get a decent rig i'm sure most of the problems will be sorted...

you probly can't run Doom3 or HL2 ahhah I am kiding lol.

Still you are missing out loads. ;)

4W4K3

VIP Member
anthonyrstanley said:
you probly can't run Doom3 or HL2 ahhah I am kiding lol.

Still you are missing out loads. ;)

i dunno if i can. point is even if i knew i could i don't think i'd try. i havent even had enough time to turn on my computer these last 2 days...buying a computer game and trying to play it would be a disaster lol. if i had more time maybe...but not now. my main rig isn't even able to turn on right now. gotta RMA PSU and i got no $$$$ for shipping.:(