(still a newb.) Building PC for file storage only ( offline )

frldyz

I'm slowly piecing together parts for my 2nd PC build.

We take 10'000's of pictures each year and lots of video. Currently I am storing these on multiple ext. HD's and a 4tb HD connected to my current PC ( online ).

The intent of this 2nd PC build is a PC to store these files on a seperate PC ( offline ) No risk of virus and malware etc...
----------------------
*I do not intend to do crazy editing etc... Maybe just photoshop.

Is there anything particular I want to look for in a CPU or APU to maximize my file transfering etc..
Basically we will connect our phones, camcorder ( rarely used ) and ext. HDD to the PC to stransfer files.

I understand USB 3.0 is the way to go. And windows 7 does not support USB 3.0 ( unless I add or download the right software ). In this situation would I want to install win 10 or win 7 and the correct software?

Anything particular I want to look for in a mobo to maximize the intent of this PC?
Suggest RAM size? ( I do not intend to run multiple programs at a time )
Suggested CPU / APU?

Thank you everyone.

** I am leaning towards AMD as my other PC is an intel and just want to try something new.

beers

Staff member
Literally anything will be fine. As you stated I'd ensure it had usb3. You also would be wise to keep the data on another medium as a backup to the server such as the ext hdd