Stopping dam windows 10 updates

H_L

How the heck do you stop windows 10 updates??? they are so annoying, inconvenient AND mess with your computer!!!!
I've tried disabling them and it still wants to update and I've also deleted the update files and it still forced an update!!
And yes I do have home addition BUT I still need to stop them some how

aldan

you cant disable updates.if you can disable them for 7 days,but thats it.on another note,you do no that you really need those updates,especially security updates.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
The only thing you can do to somewhat stop updates is to set your internet connection to a metered connection. Basically telling windows that you have to pay for data so it won't download updates.

Pupp

The way Windows does large updates, is to download pieces of the large update for several months, in order to trickle the data over a long time, instead of downloading all at once. It still does the monthly updates, which are bug fixes and installs security updates, which would be not a good idea to stop.

I can't advise anybody preventing Windows 10 from updating.

Usually the biggest updates are in May and September, although the actual "May" or "Sept." update might take months later to install, since they work with major internet providers to download the data based on their usage.
For example, I have to use Verizon cell towers for my internet, so it takes months for my main computer to download the data, then months more for my 2nd computer in the house to download all the data. But for most people with wired internet, it will download and install data around the target months.

Microsoft does a pretty good job of trickling the data over time, because I've never noticed it being a drain on my data cap. But like I said, I think they work with the major internet providers to adjust that download rate so that it will effect the user's data cap as little as possible, for those using providers with data caps.

Of course, no matter what, a user can force Windows 10 to download and update immediately. Unless for some reason you absolutely need the newest cumulative update, I'd recommend just letting Windows 10 update by itself.

Last edited:

Jiniix

First, but optional, run Windows 10 Debloater:
It will remove some pre-installed apps, enable .NET 3 and other small QoL fixes.

Second, after a reboot, run Shutup10:
My personal config with Shutup10 is checking off every single checkbox except those related to microphone, Key Management Service and Network Indicator (last two at the bottom, microphone under App Access).

This will entirely stop Windows 10 updates from running, but be warned, you can't manually update either unless you use the tools to re-enable it.

strollin

Why is it that others have such issues with Windows 10 Updates? I've been using Windows 10 since before it was officially released and have never had issues with updates. No one in my family has had issues, none of my friends either.

aldan

Why is it that others have such issues with Windows 10 Updates? I've been using Windows 10 since before it was officially released and have never had issues with updates. No one in my family has had issues, none of my friends either.
me either.

Jiniix

People have different definitions of the word "issue" I guess. For me it's an issue if Windows Update uses 1MB RAM in the background or delays a restart by 1 second, without me having asked for it.
That's completely disregarding all the actual issues people have with, for example, deleting your entire Downloads folder, resetting system settings etc.
To say you've never had issues, all I can infer is that you don't use Windows 10.
I've had a friend literally go "Why am I lagging, is that a Windows U---" and he dropped from game+voice in a CSGO match. Funniest moment ever, but not OK.

Last edited:

strollin

I guess I don't use Windows 10 much on my 3 towers, laptop, tablet or shop PC.

It is nonsense to classify 1MB of RAM usage or a 1 second delay as an issue. If that's your criteria, I've had issues with every single OS I've ever used, bar none, and I've used a lot of different OSes.

beers

Staff member
For me it's an issue if Windows Update uses 1MB RAM in the background or delays a restart by 1 second, without me having asked for it.
Taking things to extremes doesn't make you more advanced, excessive expectations would just murder any computing enjoyment I had.

There's definitely a 'feel' for your own rig and predictable workloads though so you can generally tell if something is consuming resources.

aldan

People have different definitions of the word "issue" I guess. For me it's an issue if Windows Update uses 1MB RAM in the background or delays a restart by 1 second, without me having asked for it.
That's completely disregarding all the actual issues people have with, for example, deleting your entire Downloads folder, resetting system settings etc.
To say you've never had issues, all I can infer is that you don't use Windows 10.
I've had a friend literally go "Why am I lagging, is that a Windows U---" and he dropped from game+voice in a CSGO match. Funniest moment ever, but not OK.
like i said,and will say it slower if need be,i have had no issues with win10 update.to say if that is the case,that i have not used windows 10 is at least uninformed and at best bull..sit.my take is that if you have issues,maybe you are screwing with the os.what you are describing is something that can happen,and did,with any windows os.get a grip.further to that,do you really expect me to believe that you can isolate a 1 fricken second delay in startup to a windows update problem??again you need help.

Jiniix

I guess I don't use Windows 10 much on my 3 towers, laptop, tablet or shop PC.

It is nonsense to classify 1MB of RAM usage or a 1 second delay as an issue. If that's your criteria, I've had issues with every single OS I've ever used, bar none, and I've used a lot of different OSes.
Remember when you could choose an option called "Never check for updates" allowing you have to full control of when, what and where?
1MB/1sec was obiously exaggerated. My major issue with Win10 Update is the lack of control. I don't have issues with Windows Update on a daily basis, because I completely brick it until I feel it's time for some security patches.

Anyway, I showed OP how to disable it easily, and can attest that the method allows you to run Win10 for more than 464 days uptime without any shenanigans, and Aldan lmao

OmniDyne

Because the components of each computer vary so greatly. It's not that surprising and shouldn't be. Microsoft has released update patches and hotfixes to updates since forever.

We had six computers affected by the same 2004 cumulative update, all became useless. One required a reinstall. The others were fixed by patches, hot fixes, or sat until the next cumulative update. My personal computer had the same issue, but once updated to 20H2 the problem went away.

What's to blame? I don't think it really matters. Varying hardware and software doesn't help. I've had iOS updates and Android updates cause issues. That's why they release general bug fixes lol.

Wanting to disable updates is stupid. Delaying them until a more opportune time (like after the meeting, and not before) is crucial.

My major issue with Win10 Update is the lack of control.
Why? You don't get control with Android or iOS. They force security patches along with quality updates lol.

Jiniix

Why? You don't get control with Android or iOS. They force security patches along with quality updates lol.
I've never ever had my OnePlus5 update the OS by itself, always manual, and it's configured to update apps automatically when on WiFi+charging. Good enough for me, since a phone is very different.
Gross. Some people use that as a badge of honor, I've seen a few Cisco devices with 10+years of uptime. It usually just means you can run whatever CVE exploit you want.
I'd like to believe that I'm somewhat aware of my actions, so unless you had a broad mass attack scanning for IPs online or something similar (it was behind a paid VPN), it wouldn't connect to any services or sites that I deemed risky.

Pupp

Microsoft doesn't have perfect updates. There was some issue that cropped up from a Sept. 2020 update, and it wasn't fixed until Jan. 2021. Like a lot of stuff, they don't mention or fix minor bugs until they get around to it. Security related updated are pushed out the fastest, sometimes in day or two if it's a critical patch.

It had something do with wifi printing. Perhaps they had to patch wifi printing for security reasons in Sept, causing the wifi connection to fail with my computer, making it a hassle to print anything. But in Jan, they fixed it. I still had to adjust some wifi settings with the printer, but it's fixed now. Before the Jan. patch, nothing I did made a difference.

strollin

Microsoft doesn't have perfect updates. There was some issue that cropped up from a Sept. 2020 update, and it wasn't fixed until Jan. 2021. Like a lot of stuff, they don't mention or fix minor bugs until they get around to it. Security related updated are pushed out the fastest, sometimes in day or two if it's a critical patch.

It had something do with wifi printing. Perhaps they had to patch wifi printing for security reasons in Sept, causing the wifi connection to fail with my computer, making it a hassle to print anything. But in Jan, they fixed it. I still had to adjust some wifi settings with the printer, but it's fixed now. Before the Jan. patch, nothing I did made a difference.
There's no such thing as perfect software anyway, it's a myth.

I can't imagine what the issue was in regards to wifi printing. I have a wifi connected printer on my network that I installed in May 2016 that has worked fine for nearly 5 years through every single Windows 10 update on at least a half dozen computers. Not even a hiccup.

Pupp

There's no such thing as perfect software anyway, it's a myth.

I can't imagine what the issue was in regards to wifi printing. I have a wifi connected printer on my network that I installed in May 2016 that has worked fine for nearly 5 years through every single Windows 10 update on at least a half dozen computers. Not even a hiccup.
I have no idea what happened to the Wifi. I just know in January, I fiddled with it enough to get it to work. I tried so many things, I couldn't possible remember if what I did, I'd done previously. But I do know I had a major cumulative update in Sept, last year, and after that, I was having major issues printing to the wifi printer. I sent jobs to the printer for 3 years with zero issues, then suddenly after a cumulative update, it was broken.

/shrug

It's not really worth spending time trying to figure it out. Perhaps it was the Brother Printer driver that was messed up, and Brothers pushed a fix in the January update of Windows.

samaki

How the heck do you stop windows 10 updates??? they are so annoying, inconvenient AND mess with your computer!!!!
I've tried disabling them and it still wants to update and I've also deleted the update files and it still forced an update!!
And yes I do have home addition BUT I still need to stop them some how
type this on run dialog box services.msc and click enter,then find window update click it and then you will see a drop down menu click it to manually and then finish the procedure by apply then ok.it will stop window update until you decide to turn it automatically.i guess this will help.