Store or Buy

m3incorp

Fellows I am loving your responses. I bet the intial poster is having a ball. Now on the responses.
$900 doesn't build a greatgaming machine. A great gaming machine would be running a FX60 processor, dual high end graphics, fast RAM and many other components that I won't take the time to name.

The particuliar PC in question has four RAM slots capable of up to 1GB of DDR each.

Encore, sure you are going to supply all software...isn't that sort of illegal. Why not just delete the "junk" that comes on a bought machine. Too easy.

4W4K3, last time I checked. When building a new computer; you will need the full version of Windows XP, not the $80 upgrade. Of course if he has an older version disc around, he should be able to get around that. I won't even respond to the console thing. This thread began with trying to do something cheaply, so I don't think a gaming PC would win that argument over a console.

4W4K3

VIP Member
m3incorp said:
Fellows I am loving your responses. I bet the intial poster is having a ball. Now on the responses.
$900 doesn't build a greatgaming machine. A great gaming machine would be running a FX60 processor, dual high end graphics, fast RAM and many other components that I won't take the time to name.

4W4K3, last time I checked. When building a new computer; you will need the full version of Windows XP, not the $80 upgrade. Of course if he has an older version disc around, he should be able to get around that. I won't even respond to the console thing. This thread began with trying to do something cheaply, so I don't think a gaming PC would win that argument over a console.

Who said a gaming computer had to have an FX60 processor? What's wrong with a s939 Opteron, or a Venice or SanDiego core? Maybe an X2? All of these processors are capable of playing today's latest games at there peak settings. Also, who said anything about SLi? You don't need SLi to run a game, and you don't need the most absolute top of the line cards to play today's games, a $120 6600GT PCI-E card can get you playing Doom3 and HalfLife2. I think you're confusing "good gaming computer" with "the absolute top of the line computer available". The vast majority of computer gamers run $700-1200 computers, $900 will get you playing anything decently.

And I'll explain this again since you don't seem to get it. XP Home Edition with SP2 pre-installed is $89, and it's not an upgrade. It's the complete Home Edition OS, with it's own license and CD-Key. It costs $89.99 on newegg.com, and I've seen it cheaper on sale.

Dr Studly

banned
m3incorp said:
$900 dollars builds a very good machine, and something with a FX60, dual high-end graphics, amazing ram, a 10,000 or 15,000 RPM harddrive, etc... would be more than just great...

m3incorp said:
Encore, sure you are going to supply all software...isn't that sort of illegal.
what is illeagle? me getting him the software he needs???
m3incorp said:
Why not just delete the "junk" that comes on a bought machine. Too easy.
waste of time tracking it all down, and some of it you can't delete (such as the compaq help center)

m3incorp said:
4W4K3, last time I checked. When building a new computer; you will need the full version of Windows XP, not the $80 upgrade.
i bought the OEM from amazon brand new for like $70... and you can buy the OEM from NewEgg for $92

m3incorp said:
I won't even respond to the console thing. This thread began with trying to do something cheaply, so I don't think a gaming PC would win that argument over a console.
this has already been debated here, i think computers had a slight edge on consoles...

m3incorp

4W4K3 said:
Who said a gaming computer had to have an FX60 processor? What's wrong with a s939 Opteron, or a Venice or SanDiego core? Maybe an X2? All of these processors are capable of playing today's latest games at there peak settings. Also, who said anything about SLi? You don't need SLi to run a game, and you don't need the most absolute top of the line cards to play today's games, a $120 6600GT PCI-E card can get you playing Doom3 and HalfLife2. I think you're confusing "good gaming computer" with "the absolute top of the line computer available". The vast majority of computer gamers run $700-1200 computers, $900 will get you playing anything decently.

And I'll explain this again since you don't seem to get it. XP Home Edition with SP2 pre-installed is $89, and it's not an upgrade. It's the complete Home Edition OS, with it's own license and CD-Key. It costs $89.99 on newegg.com, and I've seen it cheaper on sale.

Man sometimes it is so hard to get something across. If you read everything above; I was responding to building a great computer. You are right, all those processors will perform pretty well. BUT have you noticed that all the processors that everyone keeps recommending for cheap, is not one of these decent ones.
Of course $900 will get you playing decently. Refer back to the beginning. It was about cheap built computer compared to a branded one. For me, if you aint building with dual core, then you will be upgrading again REAL SOON.
Yep, you are right with the Newegg OEM XP; now what about all the other software that will be needed.
Hey this can go on and on and on; both ways will have pros and cons. I stated a pro....if you noticed, I also said that I build my own performance systems BUT buy branded for the budget ones.
Yes, it is illegal to use most software on a system that it wasn't purchased for. Not saying wether you should give it or not.
Somebody tell me how the gaming PC vs console was translated into which has the slighter edge. It was about price that I commented about.

Hey, the guy is going to do whatever he wants. If he wants to build a $900, computer then by all means he should. I have yet to build one that cost anywhere near $900. I sure that is because I was not trying to build a BUDGET gaming computer, but rather something closer to GREAT.

Last edited:

4W4K3

VIP Member
m3incorp said:
Man sometimes it is so hard to get something across. If you read everything above; I was responding to building a great computer. You are right, all those processors will perform pretty well. BUT have you noticed that all the processors that everyone keeps recommending for cheap, is not one of these decent ones.
Of course $900 will get you playing decently. Refer back to the beginning. It was about cheap built computer compared to a branded one. For me, if you aint building with dual core, then you will be upgrading again REAL SOON.
Yep, you are right with the Newegg OEM XP; now what about all the other software that will be needed.
Hey this can go on and on and on; both ways will have pros and cons. I stated a pro....if you noticed, I also said that I build my own performance systems BUT buy branded for the budget ones.
Yes, it is illegal to use most software on a system that it wasn't purchased for. Not saying wether you should give it or not.
Somebody tell me how the gaming PC vs console was translated into which has the slighter edge. It was about price that I commented about.

Hey, the guy is going to do whatever he wants. If he wants to build a $900, computer then by all means he should. I have yet to build one that cost anywhere near $900. I sure that is because I was not trying to build a BUDGET gaming computer, but rather something closer to GREAT.

Do you know anything about computer hardware? Opteron, Venice, SanDiego, X2 are NOT cheap...they are the MOST COMMON gaming processors on the market today in the AMD world. And they are MORE than "decent". Decent would be an Athlon XP or Sempron, those are budget processors.

Single cored CPU's are here to stay for a long time, it will be a VERY long time before the entire market is flooded with only dual core CPU's and technology. As of yet we are jsut at the very tip top of the iceberg, it's not going to flip flop tomorrow. Single core CPU's will always have there place, they've been dominating for decades.

No, it's not illegal to purchase software and install it on a computer that was custom built. Computers don't come bundled with software especially if you custom build them, how do you think people get there software?

And what other software is necessary to buy besides an OS (assuming you are using Windows)? I can install XP and be set, all other software needed for a home user can be had for free LEGALLY. OpenOffice, WMP10, DVD playback software, etc. Things like M$ Office aren't a necessity, and buying them isn't required when there are free alternatives. Now CAD software or 3d-rendering apps won't be free (at least good ones) but that's going somewhat beyond a gaming/home computer.

Again, you have no idea what $900 can get you. A s939 Opteron system with a 6600GT and 1-2GB PC3200 is far from (Budget) and will play all the latest games. You don't have to pay $2000 to get a "great computer". Seriously, go and look up some hardware and benchmark reviews and see the kinds of results you get for the hardware you claim is "cheap" or "budget" oriented.

Dr Studly

banned
m3incorp said:
with a $900 budget he could get something with a X2 3800+ or a Athlon 64 4000+ <<--- don't say that isn't decent
m3incorp said:
Of course $900 will get you playing decently
more than decently...

m3incorp said:
Refer back to the beginning. It was about cheap built computer compared to a branded one. For me, if you aint building with dual core, then you will be upgrading again REAL SOON.
as i stated he could get a X2 3800+, but he isn't, he told me a while he is gona wait for the AM2 socket (which are processor that come out with it are dual core)

m3incorp said:
this is all he uses besides his games: mozilla firefox, aim, iTunes
and for security i will get him Nod32, he has the windows firewal, and microsoft defender...
m3incorp said:
I build my own performance systems BUT buy branded for the budget ones.

ok, someone said something earlier about dual-core PCs being cheaper to buy at places like CompUSA, Best Buy, Cirtcuit City, ect... my dad just bought the parts for a budget-midrange PC:
Pentium D 820 (which is dual-core;) )
1gb ram
120gb harddrive
Radeon 9250
Integraded Audio
DVD Burner

$590

a local PC store would have got that to use for $1,080... best buy would have done after rebates weekend sale 850...

i never seen a dual-core package at $590...

m3incorp

4W4K3 said:
Do you know anything about computer hardware? Opteron, Venice, SanDiego, X2 are NOT cheap...they are the MOST COMMON gaming processors on the market today in the AMD world. And they are MORE than "decent". Decent would be an Athlon XP or Sempron, those are budget processors.

Go back and read all the posts. Before we got into this little discussion; people were recommending AMD 3200+ to fit his budget. READ!!!

Single cored CPU's are here to stay for a long time, it will be a VERY long time before the entire market is flooded with only dual core CPU's and technology. As of yet we are jsut at the very tip top of the iceberg, it's not going to flip flop tomorrow. Single core CPU's will always have there place, they've been dominating for decades.

I won't take a stab at that one, as neither of us know. But, I doubted except for budget machines.
No, it's not illegal to purchase software and install it on a computer that was custom built. Computers don't come bundled with software especially if you custom build them, how do you think people get there software?

A computer that someone else owns, is what would make most of it illegal. Same as music pirating, etc. However, I could care less and think people should be able to do whatever they like with something they have paid for. He is fortunate to have a friend like the one that is offering to take care of ALL his software wants.
And what other software is necessary to buy besides an OS (assuming you are using Windows)? I can install XP and be set, all other software needed for a home user can be had for free LEGALLY. OpenOffice, WMP10, DVD playback software, etc. Things like M$ Office aren't a necessity, and buying them isn't required when there are free alternatives. Now CAD software or 3d-rendering apps won't be free (at least good ones) but that's going somewhat beyond a gaming/home computer.

Hmm I use that CAD/3d-rendering software in my home computer.
Again, you have no idea what $900 can get you. A s939 Opteron system with a 6600GT and 1-2GB PC3200 is far from (Budget) and will play all the latest games. You don't have to pay $2000 to get a "great computer". Seriously, go and look up some hardware and benchmark reviews and see the kinds of results you get for the hardware you claim is "cheap" or "budget" oriented.

I know you don't have to pay $2000 for a great computer. I think we have gotten way off what the initial poster was inquiring about. I do have an idea of what $900 can buy, as well as what $100,000 can buy. Dual Core is the way for me.....there will be many that don't agree, but as usual everyone has their own opinions and of course can do whatever they like with thier money. Let's just say that $900 wouldn't buy enough of what is needed for me to build a "great gaming machine".
This has bascially turned into a thread of oneupmanship. But hey, that is what the forum is for. Nope, don't claim to know everything about computers as I am sure many don't claim. These threads do help many people to decide what they want to do. I for one, do not spend a lot of time trying to persuade people to do something a certain way, just because that is the way that I may have done things in the past.

Techology moves forward everyday, so you either move with it or use parts that will quickly become ancient.

Time for me to do a little work now!

Last edited:

m3incorp

Encore4More said:
with a $900 budget he could get something with a X2 3800+ or a Athlon 64 4000+ <<--- don't say that isn't decent
more than decently...

If I remember correctly, he use the word performance. Today the dual core processors are considered your performers.

as i stated he could get a X2 3800+, but he isn't, he told me a while he is gona wait for the AM2 socket (which are processor that come out with it are dual core)

That X2 3800+ is dual core just as I suggested earlier. Still it would be decent in my book. Looks like this whole thread is just about moost since he has made his decision to wait for the AM2 socket. Again price is what this thread started about.

this is all he uses besides his games: mozilla firefox, aim, iTunes
and for security i will get him Nod32, he has the windows firewal, and microsoft defender...

I was talking about people "in general" not just "your" friend. Again he is lucky to have a friend such as you.

ok, someone said something earlier about dual-core PCs being cheaper to buy at places like CompUSA, Best Buy, Cirtcuit City, ect... my dad just bought the parts for a budget-midrange PC:
Pentium D 820 (which is dual-core;) )
1gb ram
120gb harddrive
Radeon 9250
Integraded Audio
DVD Burner

$590

Hmm there are a couple of items missing to build a computer from scratch.

a local PC store would have got that to use for $1,080... best buy would have done after rebates weekend sale 850...

Hey I have never said, that everyone should run out to their local computer store to buy parts for their build. I think that most are not reading that I said that sometimes it is just hard to build cheaper on a tight budget. Mass market has its advantages. Sales, rebates, coupon codes at times make a prebuilt machine cheaper to buy. SOMETIMES SOMETIMES SOMETIMES.

i never seen a dual-core package at $590...

Check around enough, search for codes, coupons and yep you soon will see it. Of course your dad did well with the parts that he bought, and I would have recommended that route also for what he was doing.

4W4K3

VIP Member
So far it seems like you're saying if it's not good enough for you, then it must be cheap and shouldn't be recommended for anyone else. I've offered 3-4 gaming processors that are game worthy, but to you i suppose they are just "cheap". I hope you waste your money on an FX60 and then later find out other/cheaper computers can out-do yours simply because other people know what there hardware is capable of...and you just seem to follow the marketing ideaology that "if it costs more it must be better". I think you're being fooled by the price tag, as everyone here knows that $900 is plenty to get a good gaming computer that is capable of running the latest games and apps. Please name some software that a s939 Opty setup with a good graphics card and 1-2GB of RAM just could not run period, that an FX series computer could....I'm drawing a blank here.

This kind of close-mindedness(sp?) is just going to continue. This may be on of the few times that I may have to us the IL option, but I sure hope not.

Last edited:

m3incorp

4W4K3 said:
So far it seems like you're saying if it's not good enough for you, then it must be cheap and shouldn't be recommended for anyone else. I've offered 3-4 gaming processors that are game worthy, but to you i suppose they are just "cheap". I hope you waste your money on an FX60 and then later find out other/cheaper computers can out-do yours simply because other people know what there hardware is capable of...and you just seem to follow the marketing ideaology that "if it costs more it must be better". I think you're being fooled by the price tag, as everyone here knows that $900 is plenty to get a good gaming computer that is capable of running the latest games and apps. Please name some software that a s939 Opty setup with a good graphics card and 1-2GB of RAM just could not run period, that an FX series computer could....I'm drawing a blank here.

This kind of close-mindedness(sp?) is just going to continue. This may be on of the few times that I may have to us the IL option, but I sure hope not.

It seems that you have misunderstood me. Your definition of "cheap" must be different than mine. Cheap= less price to me. If you read my other statements, then you would know that I would not have a need for a FX60 as I would prefer a gaming console for gaming. Again, you seem to get out of this thread something totally different than is actually being said. The heck with "marketing". I could care less about marketing. The statement of "everyone" is pretty broad. Again, just because a computer cost $900 DOESN'T MAKE it cheap as when using your definition.

As for close-mindness, the same could be said for you. I don't know what the "IL" option is, but don't waste your time on my account.

We both have our decisions. I do not desire to try to make you see things my way, as you should have no reason to try to make me see it your way.

This is a forum and wouldn't be any good if we all thought the same about everything...period. have a nice day! I think we are wasting people's time; or at least getting a laugh out of a few.