Storing Credit Card, Bank Info and Passwords?

Smudge

I would like to create a document with all of my credit card info, banking info and passwords. I need to be able to access this document from my Ipad, Android cell phone and any computer with an internet connection. I am somewhat concerned about someone getting this information without my approval. The info will be saved on Word document. How safe am I using a program like Dropbox? Can this file be encrypted before uploading to a program like Dropbox? Any suggestions are much appreciated!

claptonman

I would never suggest you keep this info anywhere in your computer. Best thing to do would be an actual notepad, pen and paper, by your computer. If you really need it on your computer, I would archive it into a .rar file and put a strong password on it.

Smudge

It is not that I need it on my computer, however I do need it when I am on the go. Hence the reason I need to be able to access it on my Ipad, cell phone and a computer with internet. I would think that there has to be some way to keep all of this information safe. Thanks

Smudge

I think that I have figured out how I can do this while maintaining a high level of security. I am going to create a file and not identify that file as being one which contains credit card, bank and password info. I will give it some random name. I will then encrypt the file and then it can be uploaded to Dropbox or another similiar type of program. Then I am going to create my own type of code within the credit card and bank account numbers so that only I will know how to pull out the actual account number from the string of characters. I am thinking that this could be a very very secure way of handling my issue. I know that it is not 100%, however it will be darn close!

User0one

I store a notepad file in the "sent folder" at a Web Based email site, and have it zipped with a password. I have a scheme where I scramble a remembered pattern for the Credit Card numbers and all the passwords are missing a 6 digit key committed to memory. All my Passwords use that same key so it is easy to use.

If the email site is hacked the data will be useless without the few things I have committed to my memory.

I don't know of encryption software that works across multiple platforms like you are dealing with.

Last edited:

Smudge

I store a notepad file in the "sent folder" at a Web Based email site, and have it zipped with a password. I have a scheme where I scramble in a remembered pattern the Credit Card numbers and all the passwords are all missing a 6 digit key committed to memory. All my Passwords use that same key so it is easy to use.

If the email site is hacked the data will be useless without the few things I have committed to my memory.

I don't know of encryption software that works across multiple platforms like you are dealing with.

This is a great idea. What do you mean by saying that you use a 6 digit key?

User0one

The Key can be any length, but mine is not a word or proper name and I type into a password box before each password that are kept in the notepad file.

A scrambled Credit Card Number might be like the second number of each 4 digit block to be plus 1. example 4356-5670-etc, so the real number would be 4456-5770-etc

Smudge

The Key can be any length, but mine is not a word or proper name and I type into a password box before each password that are kept in the notepad file.

WHen you say "Key" you are referring to what is basically a password??? And, you have it set up so that for each password you have to enter this key (password)? Just a little confused, however, I really like this idea so far and feel as though it may fit my needs also.

User0one

To make my scheme work you would have to change your passwords at these sites. You could use the same basic passwords, but have to add a remembered "what I call key" to each.

A password change is not a bad idea to do once in awhile, My bank every few months makes it's users create a new password at the logon prompt.

$r%t^yBankpassword. as a example of a key before a password.

$r%t^y looks hard to remember, but it is a simple keyboard combination, hard to remember unless looking at a keyboard.

Just a example of something. You might have something else to use.

User0one

Two years back I went on a trip and forgot my wallet. To my surprise the Airlines are set up for this occurrence, and was still able to make my flight.

At my destination tho I couldn't rent a Car without a Credit Card. They let me use their computer so I could retrieve My Credit card info, and Driver License info I had stored online.

Then later using that information went to a bank to get more Cash. The whole two week trip ended up going pretty smoothly.

Last edited: