strange colors when I start up a game

Vertigopills

So I just bought my system a couple months ago (new), no major problems so far (though I did get a BSOD once a little bit ago) but some wierd video problem started happening for ONE particular game: StarCraft.

I installed the game, have been playing it fine, colors are fine, etc.. this past day I noticed the colors are bad (inverted or something) whenever I start the game up. When I go to load a mission, it says "failure" or something, dunno what to do! COD4 is working fine, my colors are fine besides StarCraft. I tried looking for comparable threads on this issue but found none. :confused:

Thanks,
Andy

sniperchang

If you're running windows 7 this is normal, it's usually limited to the menu. If you start a game the colors go back to normal.

EDIT: Oh wait you're saying it fails to load a game? Did you try re-install?

Vertigopills

It goes to the start menu, and everything is fine (minus the wierd colors) except when I try to start a game. A dialogue box appears:
<br>
"Starcraft: Windows - Application Error
The Instruction at 0x004ce1c4 referenced memory at 0x00000014. The memory could not be read.
Click on OK to terminate the program."
<br>
If I re-install it, will I lose my saved games?

sniperchang

It should give you the option to keep save game files, but just incase you can always back them up yourself (Have look in the program folder). You may want to also backup map files that you acquired that are not part of the original install.

salvage-this

Before you un install the game try loading it and then quiting the process explorer.exe. then you can get it back by going to run explorer.exe. This will get rid of your desktop and then bring it back after you are done playing the game. I only bring this up because this is the way that I have to get around weird colors in Age of Empires.

If I re-install it, will I lose my saved games?

Most Likely. But there should be a folder in your C drive that contains your caved games. I'm not sure if you could copy and paste them into a fresh install and continue with them, but it's worth a shot if you are going to reinstall anyway.

Vertigopills

Hmmm so I re-installed it, only funny colors during introductory ads but not the title screen nor game. It works now (I think) hopefully I won't need to keep doing this. Although its only 90MB, still a nuisance xp

sniperchang

Hmmm so I re-installed it, only funny colors during introductory ads but not the title screen nor game. It works now (I think) hopefully I won't need to keep doing this. Although its only 90MB, still a nuisance xp

It happens, can be cause by data corruption/fragmenting. You should be good for a while though.

You may be able to prevent further data corruption by running the defragmenter program. Have you done this before? It's good practice to run it like once a month.

CardboardSword

I had a weird crashing issue with some older games too. I think my issue was caused by Aero though, because disabling that made everything run lovely. Wasn't the same issue as yours, but it may help if things get bad again, so I figured it was worth mentioning.

djiang87

for the color problem in starcraft, you just have to open up screen resolution and leave it open when running the game.