Strange confusing stops.

Synay

Hi everyone.

My problem is strange. I bought computer as whole around three months ago. The specs were:

Pentium 4 630 3.0 GHz
1GB of DDR2 at 400MHz
ATI X550 256MB
ECS SiS-649 M7 micro ATX motherboard
300W power supply
Philips DVD-RW
Maxtor 200 GB IDE HDD
Windows Media Center Edition 2005

The system was quite stable and performing nice also (3DMark03 score - 2300).

Then I upgraded a graphics card to ATI X800GT 256MB. System was running ok until I didn't turn on something demanding like 3DMark or any game. System was just crushing. What I could see was that at some point (2-3 minutes) the screen was turning itself off (same way as when you shut down the pc). I exchanged the card but with no results. I upgraded PSU to the 500W dual rail model. Still nothing. In act of desperation I changed the motherboard into ASUS P5LD2-SE. I downloaded latest official drivers.
Performance boost is enormous (3DMark03 score - 7890), but computer keeps crushing the same way as before. It just takes much longer to come to this point. But eventually it crashes.
It produces either recovery message from ATI that driver crashed without restarting or it restarts and windows error message appears saying:

Error signature

BCCode : 5 BCP1 : 863A1410 BCP2 : 865AB2F0 BCP3 : 00000001
BCP4 : 00000000 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 2_0 Product : 256_1

Is there any outcome from this? I would like to finally use my pc to something more serious than office and internet (talking about gaming of course).

Thanx for replys.

lethalforce

ummm...why didn't you reinstall windows before changing your motherboard

and try getting the latest drivers or rolling back to the old ones

Synay

I did reinstall Windows and have latest drivers (v. 6.6). But nothing changes. It's the same either with newest drivers or older from the manufacturers cd.

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
is anything overheating in your system? Also, i googled the second code you gave and a ppl found out that their ram was causing it, so run some memory tests.

Synay

Thanx

Ok. I'll run som memory tests and get back with results. I doubt seriously that something is overhiting. The processoc has a huge Coolermaster cooling and GPU has ood cooling too. So it's down to the memory then.

Will get back soon.

Synay

Memory testing

I run MemTest for about half an hour or so and it turned the result to me: 0 Errors.

Does this eliminates memory from my problem? Or maybe you could suggest me other program for memory testing?

Geoff

VIP Member
I bet it's because you're power supply cant handle it, since you only have a 300W, and im guessing the amps arent that high. The x800/x850 series are pretty power hungry, some needing an additional power plug.

Could you look at the label on your power supply and tell us how many amps are on the +12V rail.

Synay

Yeah. That was what I tought too. So I upgraded PSU into a 500W model. It has 15A on +12V1 and 18A on +12V2. No change thou. PC still crushes the same way.

And my X800GT doesn't need any extra power plug.

new vega

i think i got it

my brother had this same problem with his p3

it turned out that the power supply was holding it back

his would turn off 2 minutes after he would turn the pc on

Synay

I'm sure like nothing else is't on the resolutions my tft handles. When it's benchmarking on 1024x768 it's usually ok untill the end (sometimes i happens faster), but when I use my native screen res (1280x1024) and turn on AA then it crashes pretty fast.