Strange CPU frequency question

Deadpool

It is known that a processor performance should not be measured by its frequency or number of cores, since there are other factors that affect performance (manufacturing technology, architecture and probably missing something).

The question is, why sometimes app rquirements say, for example "1.6Ghz Processor required"?

beers

Staff member
How else would you describe minimum performance metrics when scoping out application requirements? :p

Most people have no fuggin idea about anything when it comes to intricate CPU details. Clock speed is probably the easiest number, and historically a reasonable ballpark for performance expectations.

Deadpool

How else would you describe minimum performance metrics when scoping out application requirements? :p

Most people have no fuggin idea about anything when it comes to intricate CPU details. Clock speed is probably the easiest number, and historically a reasonable ballpark for performance expectations.

You could use models, like games do. Not too accurate since not all apps can use all cores, even more when it comes to 6+ core CPUs.

Someone could end up buying a Intel Pentium Extreme edition 955 thinking "Oh it reaches 3.5Ghz, this should work!" and they would be better off getting a 3.0Ghz brand new I3 and get 10 times the performance.

You're saying it means nothing and it's aimed only at guiding people who are not familiar with the stuff when they are buying?

Darren

Staff member
It doesn't mean anything but it serves as a rough idea of what you need minimum to run something, a lot of times you can run stuff on hardware below minimum specs. It's not like "Oh darn your processor is 1.59999GHz, we need 1.6GHz, get outta here kid!" If you had a processor a couple generations newer than the recommended 1.6GHz model that ran at 1.4GHz, you'd probably have equal or better performance even if the clock speed technically isn't the minimum.

Don't think too hard about something like this. :p

Deadpool

It doesn't mean anything but it serves as a rough idea of what you need minimum to run something, a lot of times you can run stuff on hardware below minimum specs. It's not like "Oh darn your processor is 1.59999GHz, we need 1.6GHz, get outta here kid!" If you had a processor a couple generations newer than the recommended 1.6GHz model that ran at 1.4GHz, you'd probably have equal or better performance even if the clock speed technically isn't the minimum.

Don't think too hard about something like this. :p

No I know specs most times are nuts (16Gb for Battlefront? Sure thing, buddy), I was just wandering if the speed actually changed anything, like if you have a new CPU under 1.6Ghz, you can´t run a 3 year old app?

I said it because sometimes apps do not specify model or anything, like this:

https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/downloads/windows-10-sdk

Hardware requirements
  • 1.6 GHz or faster processor
  • 1 GB of RAM
  • 4 GB of available hard disk space
???

I guess the question is answered anyways.

It just seems wrong that people sometimes only pay attention to speed and number of cores instead of something more measurable and accurate like benchmarks. Same thing for GPUs "Wow it´s a GTX 580 3Gb GDDR5, why the hell would I get a 1060?". There should be campaigns to make people aware of this! F*** hunger in Africa and Gay Marriage!

Darren

Staff member
No I know specs most times are nuts (16Gb for Battlefront? Sure thing, buddy), I was just wandering if the speed actually changed anything, like if you have a new CPU under 1.6Ghz, you can´t run a 3 year old app?

I said it because sometimes apps do not specify model or anything, like this:

https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/downloads/windows-10-sdk

Hardware requirements
  • 1.6 GHz or faster processor
  • 1 GB of RAM
  • 4 GB of available hard disk space
???

I guess the question is answered anyways.

It just seems wrong that people sometimes only pay attention to speed and number of cores instead of something more measurable and accurate like benchmarks. Same thing for GPUs "Wow it´s a GTX 580 3Gb GDDR5, why the hell would I get a 1060?". There should be campaigns to make people aware of this! F*** hunger in Africa and Gay Marriage!
Can't help that a lot of people are ignorant or just don't give a shit.

Deadpool

I think most don´t give a shit about PCs. I only know about this stuff because I got into engineering and I have a knack for electricity and phisycs. And building PCs is fun as hell. And I like Deadpool o_O