Strange CPU Temp

Kornowski

VIP Member
I have AC5 applied to my Arctic Cooler 7 Pro and I used to idle at 31c, but now, when I turn my PC on, it's running at 37c, and it doesn't seem to go any lower, my blinds have been shut all night so I can't see how the sun could be heating it up, What do you make of this? :confused:

Kornowski

VIP Member
No, I didn't put too much on, I followed the instructions off the web site and from people on this forum.

Kornowski

VIP Member
I have good airflow in my case, take a look at the pictures.

I used to get 31c with the old thermal paste, I put on some AC5 and it was 31c for a day or two and now it's like 35c all the time? :confused:

nffc10

35C is a very good temp anyway mate, i wouldn't worry too much about it. My Athlon 6000+ runs at 41C/42C idle.;)
Besides how long have you had the thermal compund on? It say's it takes "on average 200 hours to break in" and after that the temps will drop another 3C - 5C.

Kornowski

VIP Member
Yeah, I guess it's a good temp, but it's been lower and it was irritating me :p
I've had it a week I guees, but I haven't been on it for like 5 days, it's been used for 4 days maybe.

I guess, I've just got to give it some time.

Kornowski

VIP Member
The temps still haven't gone down, what do you suggest?
Re-apply the AC5, if I do this can somebody show me how to apply it, I follwed the instructions on AC's web site but I don't know if I put too much on...

Could you please draw on this how much to put on and where :)
Thanks

820.jpg

skidude

What I always do it put a little bit on and then cover the metal part of the CPU with just a thin layer. Don't glob it on or leave bare metal exposed. Also make sure your heatsink is sitting right on the CPU.

kof2000

takes an average of 200 hours of runtime to set and it also depends on your hsf. you can shorten the time by running the fan 100% for a week.

820gt4.jpg

Kornowski

VIP Member
The heatsink is on the CPU just fine, so apply it and spread it around, what with?

Kof, I've had it like a week and a bit now, I guess I didn't put it on right...

skidude

What I always used that seemed to work pretty well (and was just lying around) was one of those metal things which covers an empty expansion slot on the case. I just use the end of that to spread the thermal paste around.

Last edited:

Kornowski

VIP Member
with the headsink.
Huh?

What I always used that seemed to work pretty well (and was just lying around) was one of those metal things which covers an empty expansion slot on the case. I just use the end of that to spread the thermal paste around.

Good idea, you got any pictures of what it should look like, thanks :)

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member

i heard somewhere that those piece of metal off the top of an old floppy disk are great for applying thermal paste or an old credit card cut in half.

skidude

Ok this is a picture of how I normally apply the thermal paste... since I didnt have any extra in my tube the stuff on the CPU is simply used thermal paste.