strange error. maybe someone knows the solution

alissashreddah

Well for the past 2 months I get this error whenever I start my computer:

Error Message: STOP 0x000000EA THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER (Q293078)

When the window pops I have to report it or the windows wont close and will just keep coming up, but after I report it i can shut the window and continue computing as normal (with no obvious issues).

the troubleshoot after reporting says to update video drivers (i have done this as its a brand new video card, just 2 months old.) I even tried removing all the video drivers and re-installing a few different times. this doesn't work.

I tried the 2nd option on the troubleshoot which was put the hardware acceleration down to 0 in the properties. then my computer tells me it cant run until i increase the acceleration. LOL?? good job microsoft??

here's the kicker:
It doesnt seem to be the video card as I can play WoW perfectly fine. it never crashes or has any issues EVER. I have contacted XFX about my card (nvidia 8600GT) and I explained that i could play wow but that it gives me an error when i boot up the computer and thats the only time. and they agree that its strange that i could play WoW just fine, but still said if I need to I can RMA it and they will take a look

If its not the video card then I dont want to waste my time sending it in. Can it still be the card even if its playing games perfectly fine?

and also, a little background so these arent suggested. I already tested the memory. one was faulty. I sent it in. got new ram in return. both test with no errors on memtest86. I also have a brand new 650w PSU and a brand new motherboard. all this was to fix a few different problems my computer had been having, but this one is the last one that wont go away.

google hasnt helped much.

Last edited:

bullzi

No one knows?????:mad:

Uh, no? Google is what most people use to help with unless you're a real hardware buff. Obviously you have a driver problem, I recommend booting into safe mode and uninstalling every device, reboot and reinstall with the newest drivers you can find. Beyond that, you've got me.

It's only been here for 6 hours, give it a bit more time.

TFT

VIP Member
You've obviously googled as I have, is there any way you can download an earlier version of drivers for your graphics card. There may well be a problem with the latest ones.

bullzi

Come to think of it, since "thread" is in the BSOD it makes me think that you could have a CPU issue? Have you tried a different CPU?