WIndows 10 STRANGE FILES

DEPLAO40

Do nt know how I did this, I downloaded the files to my Sandisk MP3 player. I think they are video files. Computer says they are 2280 kb properties says they are 4.45 mb. I have tried everything to remove to no avail. Any ideas ?

corewill2003

Windows reads file size in Tebibytes, Gibibytes and Mebibytes rather than Terabytes, Gigabytes, and Megabytes, that's probably why. This is why 1TB Hard Drives show up as 930GB on Windows.So in Mebibytes your file may be 2.28MB, but it shows up as 4.45MB on your MP3 player because it reads in Megabytes rather than Mebibytes. This really isn't an issue with Windows 10 or 'strange files', just the way Windows measures file size.

Also, why would you download video files to an MP3 player? MP3 players are meant for playing MP3 audio files. I'm pretty sure a video file wouldn't work, or only play audio on an MP3 player. If you're able to view videos on your MP3 player, I'm sure it's probably an MP4 player, not an MP3 player.

Last edited:

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
How did you copy the files to the sandisk?
So in Mebibytes your file may be 2.28MB, but it shows up as 4.45MB on your MP3 player because it reads in Megabytes rather than Mebibytes
While the binary and decimal counting systems can be a valid concern, there's no way a 2280Kb file is ever going to be >4MB from that.

corewill2003

How did you copy the files to the sandisk?

While the binary and decimal counting systems can be a valid concern, there's no way a 2280Kb file is ever going to be >4MB from that.

2280KB is 2.28MB, so it's probably possible that it's Windows counting in MiB and his MP3 player counting in traditional MB. 1TB is 930GiB, so it is possible. But I could be wrong, I'm a person not a calculator.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
not a calculator.
Fortunately, I am. It's pretty straight-forward actually. Multiply by 1.024. Or divide if you are going the other way.
2280KiB = 2334.72 KB

And technically 1TB is 931.3GiB.

While this can be the answer for HD sizes not matching, it's the wrong avenue for whatever is going on here - files unable to be deleted. And a very large size difference.

corewill2003

Fortunately, I am. It's pretty straight-forward actually. Multiply by 1.024. Or divide if you are going the other way.
2280KiB = 2334.72 KB

And technically 1TB is 931.3GiB.

While this can be the answer for HD sizes not matching, it's the wrong avenue for whatever is going on here - files unable to be deleted. And a very large size difference.

Thanks for the information.

DEPLAO40

Now that we know they are video files, how do I get rid of them. Tried everything to delete, no success.