Strange Freezing issue. My PC is unusable

(On mobile sorry for bad spelling)
I have a strange Freezing issue with my Computer.
I can't use my computer for more than 5 minutes at the time. I was entering my account information after installing Windows and my Computer froze. This happened 4 times. I was forzed to restart my computer. Finally got passed this screen after several reboots and clearing CMOS. After Trying to install drivers from CD MoBo it froze 3 times again.

The weird thing I noticed is that before the Freezing take place I noticed my time (clock) starts to delay by 3 or more minutes before it completely freezes my PC.

Also noticed on the activation screen that even though the Time is set to Eastern Time (my time) the day, year and time are still wrong by default.
When first installing Windows on the Activation screen the year was 2009!! Very strange.

I just got back my HDD RMA today from WD due to very similar issue I was having. So I know its not the HDD. Also RMA GPU (gtx 970) because similar issues last week the RMA is coming this Monday. But I can confirm the issues are still persistent if not worse than before.

Still have the Freezing with no GPU because its in RMA so that's not the cause. All parts are new from newegg from February 2016.

What could be the problem of this issue? I will do a short video later to demonstrate and post it here.

Thanks.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Clearing cmos changed the time and year back to default. I would start looking at a hard drive issue myself.

beers

Staff member
Do you manually set the ram speed, timings and voltage to the specs on the sticks after cleaning cmos ?

Do you manually set the ram speed, timings and voltage to the specs on the sticks after cleaning cmos ?
No I don't. I have never done this before don't even know how to do it. I can only set XMP profile. I am not even getting HDMI signal on my monitor now computer
keeps restarting after powering it on.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Disconnect hdd and see how it reacts. When they send you a replacement, its not brand new, its a refurbished drive and it may be faulty.

Well not to contradict I do appreciate your help but this similar issue was the reason why the HDD got RMA in the first place its unlikely its still the problem.

I did however not have HDMI signal without the HDD so I am thinking its something wrong with MoBo, PSU or RAM.

I had to reset CMOS 5 times before I could get HDMI signal to get into BIOS with no HDD. Because I had to get into BIOS today before my HDD arrived (today) to enable on board graphics.

Right now with HDD I still get no HDMI signal.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You can try updating to F22F but not sure if it would help. This could also be a memory issue, have you tried different ram? Disconnected all other hardware not needed to boot to the system?

You can try updating to F22F but not sure if it would help. This could also be a memory issue, have you tried different ram? Disconnected all other hardware not needed to boot to the system?
I don't have friends with Computers so I can't try different RAM. The only other hardware I can disconnect to get to BIOS would be HDD and I feel like its not the culprit.

I did consider Flashing BIOS but I am feeling like I might as well just spend $15 and ship the board for RMA. Already opened a ticket just now.

I couldn't take having the PC freeze on me 3 or 4 times just from getting my account password after fresh install. Then after restarting for update It starts boot looping not even Posting.

I gave up. Going to RMA for the 2nd time this year and I asked them not to give me same MoBo back that I want a Refurb or new one.

Did you check for any bent or missing pins in the cpu socket?
Well I had initially RMA'd this MoBo in March 2017. Due to similar issues that I am having now. However their report when they sent it back was that there was nothing wrong with the MoBo.

So I assume there are no bent pins on socket otherwise they would have said so.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Then I would look into the memory or other attached hardware. Bad memory can also cause this issue. Disconnect any cd drives as well. Bad hardware can cause all sorts of issues. Its also possible the mouse or keyboard can be the cause.

Alright so my Motherboard got back here Yesterday 8/16/17 from Gigabyte and they sent a replacement like I asked them to. Everything is working fine at this point even did couple of Stress test with "RealBench" and after lowering the Vcore Voltage I am not passing 68c under Full load using a Cryorig m9i with i7 6700k. Very happy with the replacement. Hope it continues to last.

Second time building a computer and I am surprised after you do it one time its super basic it took me 35 minutes to put it together and have it running (Plus having to install Windows) You gotta start somewhere.

@johnb35

Not sure what my issue is but I undervolted my CPU to get lower temps and also reinstalled my M9i Cooler again.

My idle temps are high. Between 38c-43c I can't figure it out. CPU usage is only 12%. I Installed Windows less than 3 weeks ago.

Any ideas? I can't figure it out.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
The I7's run hot anyway. I would say that would be normal temps at idle. Your cooler may have thermal paste applied wrong or not a very good cooler. Just read that 28 to 40 at idle is normal.

Can't believe what I found! After I removed it my Idle temperatures went down almost 10c No idea where it came from!
Trojan_Bit_Coin_Malware.png