WIndows 10 Strange Internet Disconnection Problems

jo86

I've got this laptop, it's fairly new (so no older technology on it or anything) and I had no issues for about a year up until yesterday - the connection is established (to the network) but there is no internet access. And it'll remain that way for hours.

I'll try going to Device Manager and deleting everything under "Network" and restarting the PC, that worked once. I'll try moving the PC around, outside the room and lo and behold it worked this last time. Connection's back for no reason. I KNOW this'll just go on and on and I'd like to know where the problem lies.
Thanks for reading.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
First of all would need to know what wireless card it has, does it have an updated driver, Have you scanned for malware issues using Malwarebytes.

Look under network adapters and tell me what entries are there.

jo86

First of all would need to know what wireless card it has, does it have an updated driver, Have you scanned for malware issues using Malwarebytes.

Look under network adapters and tell me what entries are there.
Hi. Thanks for the reply.

It says: Interl(R) Wireless-AC 9560 160MHz.

I also learned this in the meantime: if I plug in an Ethernet cable, the internet connection is back (however the router and Ethernet are right in the living room).
I have not scanned for malware ... my PC has been protected by Avira and had no issue so far ... but if you insist I should then I'll get Malwarebytes and run a scan.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Right click on the intel wireless AC9560 and click on properties, then click on the driver tab and tell me the driver date.

There are internet connection issues with Intel AC adapters. But I do believe that have finally fixed them with the last few driver updates.

jo86

I figured seconds after posting that last message, so I went and got the latest. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling that new updated driver a few times and restarting the PC, and it just worked just now for absolutely no good reason.

Why do you think the driver doesn't update automatically ??...

Last edited:

jo86

Hey, Windows just sent me this message for the first time:
XfrxSUI.png

So I connected to the router on the browser through the IP, looked in the security tab and I found that I had something called PPTP, SIP and GRE activated.
Just fyi, in case this helps at all.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
What router do you have? You should see a security setting such as wpa, wpa2 and others. I would recommend wpa2

ssal

Would the problem have to do with the WiFi (ISP) is taxed to the brim because everyone is staying home and is on the internet?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Would the problem have to do with the WiFi (ISP) is taxed to the brim because everyone is staying home and is on the internet?

Highly unlikely. If he has no problems with ethernet then its a wifi issue.

beers

Staff member
That has absolutely nothing to do with the security standard of his home's wireless network.
So I connected to the router on the browser through the IP, looked in the security tab and I found that I had something called PPTP, SIP and GRE activated.
Just fyi, in case this helps at all.
Those aren't related to WiFi, you probably have WEP (crackable in seconds) or algorithms using TKIP (WPA or WPA2 not using AES) enabled and should change that.

jo86

What router do you have? You should see a security setting such as wpa, wpa2 and others. I would recommend wpa2
A fiber optic router they gave us some months ago after they installed fiber here.
There' a WPA. No sign whatsoever of WPA2.

However I must emphasize, that now every time I reconnect to the internet a message in the bottom right appears saying: "this wifi network uses an old security standard. We suggest connecting to another network". And I can't make out what security area they're talking about in particular. I've tried disabling all three PPTP, SIP and GRE security modules, whatever they are, to no avail.

jo86

Those aren't related to WiFi, you probably have WEP (crackable in seconds) or algorithms using TKIP (WPA or WPA2 not using AES) enabled and should change that.
I just went into the router and changed the security type from "Mixed WPA2/WPA-PSK" to "WPA2-PSK". We'll see how that works out over the next hour.

jo86

Hey in case you're interested: it worked. Strangely enough. My connection has been stable for the past several hours, not a single disconnection. All I had to do was make that WPA2 change in the router settings... hopefully it remains that way, but so far so good. Many thanks for the help. ;) Boy this was looking bad a couple of days ago... I was thinking wifi adapter/motherboard, days w/o my laptop at the repair shop...