Strange issue (I need you guyz)

EgX

Hi,

First, thanks for reading. It's been two days googling and trying to repair my old 2800+ Athlon and I can't seem to find the problem with it!

The problem is: I clear the CMOS or Unplug it and remove Motherboard battery, then I plug it and it boots. At the bios screen, it shows the peripherals and tells me: Check sum error - Defaults Loaded. Then I press F1 to continue and it boots up normally.

Although, I can't boot the computer if I don't clear the cmos or unplug and remove battery. So if I close or reboot the computer, I won't even see the bios screen, it's just "No signal". So I unplug, remove batt, then I can reboot it with the checksum error.

So I can boot and go into Windows to try to run something, but can't reboot or can't actually boot if I don't clear the CMOS. I need your help!

I did change the battery, flash the bios to the newer version, tryed 2 different HDDs, booted on a Live Linux CD.

My config is: Amd athlon 2800+
K8NS motherboard with Nforce 250 chipset
512 RAM
Radeon 9600 Pro video card,

Thanks so much for your help!

StrangleHold

Staff member
Sorry, just read where you changed the battery. When in the bios have you tried Load Optimized Defaults and Save and Exit?

EgX

Sorry, just read where you changed the battery. When in the bios have you tried Load Optimized Defaults and Save and Exit?

No prob! The time you took to read the thread and the fact that you are trying to help me is really appreciated :)!

Yes, I tried the Optimized Defaults and Still the black screen, I also tried to lower the DDR clock speed and didn't work.

I'm beginning to think that when the computer closes, it corrupts the bios and the only way to start it is to reset the cmos. I wonder how i could change that. This is so wierd!

StrangleHold

Staff member
Is your memory two or one stick? If two try with just one stick at a time. Don't guess you have another video card you could try. When it doesn't boot do you get any bios beeps?

EgX

Is your memory two or one stick? If two try with just one stick at a time. Don't guess you have another video card you could try. When it doesn't boot do you get any bios beeps?

It is only one stick. I don't have another video card, but since it boots well when i clear the cmos and windows works like a new one, I'm not sure it would be a display problem?

When it doesn't boot, there are no beeps, only a black screen and the CD drive seems to be searching for a cd or something. When I unplug the drive, same thing, still black screen.

Do you think it might be a video card problem even if when it boots, it works A1?

StrangleHold

Staff member
Well, when you get the Checksum error. The CMOS checks against previous settings, if it sees a change it will set off the check sum error. But since your having to reset the bios when booting, that could set it off.

If it runs just fine when it boots, I doubt its the video card. If its the memory it should set off a beep tone.

When it doesn't boot is it dead in the water/nothing? Or do the fans fire up/hear it running? But just nothing on the monitor?

EgX

When it doesn't boot is it dead in the water/nothing? Or do the fans fire up/hear it running? But just nothing on the monitor?

When it doesn't boot, all fans fire up and we hear the computer running like if it would run normally. There is just No signal on the monitor.

Also, when it doesn't boot, we can hear a tickling sound in the CD drive, like if it was searching for a CD or something. Although I tried to unplug the CD drive and boot with only the HDD and still the same problem. It seems to boot as normal (Fans start up and every light in the computer lights up, but no Signal)

Dystopia

Could be connectivity issue? Between the motherboard and battery? Seeing as if you remove the battery it works..

EgX

Could be connectivity issue? Between the motherboard and battery? Seeing as if you remove the battery it works..

Hi, Well i remove the battery to clear the CMOS, but I have to put it back in to boot.

I unplug/remove battery to clear CMOS, Then put back battery and Plug then Boot. First time works/second time won't :(

Dystopia

Hi, Well i remove the battery to clear the CMOS, but I have to put it back in to boot.

I unplug/remove battery to clear CMOS, Then put back battery and Plug then Boot. First time works/second time won't :(

Well that's my point. Maybe putting it in gives a little connectivity.

I would start with trying to replace the motherboard. If this doesn't work, you can probably return the motherboard, provided it's from newegg. They have awesome customer service.

EgX

Well that's my point. Maybe putting it in gives a little connectivity.

I would start with trying to replace the motherboard. If this doesn't work, you can probably return the motherboard, provided it's from newegg. They have awesome customer service.

I'll try to check that battery thing on the motherboard and push it in.

Although, the connectivity problem would not only be when it's rebooting. I think that a connectivity problem could happen anytime while the computer is open right? I can boot the first time windows the time I want. The only thing is when I close it and try to restart.

For the return, newegg or not, it's been a LONG long LONG time since I bought this motherboard hehe and I'm pretty sure I can't return this. I just want to restore this computer to make it as a music server ;)

Dystopia

I'll try to check that battery thing on the motherboard and push it in.

Although, the connectivity problem would not only be when it's rebooting. I think that a connectivity problem could happen anytime while the computer is open right? I can boot the first time windows the time I want. The only thing is when I close it and try to restart.

For the return, newegg or not, it's been a LONG long LONG time since I bought this motherboard hehe and I'm pretty sure I can't return this. I just want to restore this computer to make it as a music server ;)

I don't think you need the battery to run the computer, just to turn it on. But don't quote me on that.

And what I meant was purchase a new motherboard. And if it doesn't fix it, return it.

EgX

I don't think you need the battery to run the computer, just to turn it on. But don't quote me on that.

And what I meant was purchase a new motherboard. And if it doesn't fix it, return it.

Ok thanks for the reply.

I don't need it enough to purchase a new motherboard, I was hoping to solve the problem on that one :p.

Thats a socket 754 isnt it?

Mmmm? where can I see that?