strange placements of parts on new toshiba's

Southy

I find it strange that on most brands of laptops these days, that the "Delete" key is always put way up in the top right hand corner or even sometimes as a secondary function... dont most computer users use the Delete key as much or maybe even more than backspace? I have noticed that the Toshiba's seem to be the only brands that have the delete key placed in a more accessible spot on the keyboard... if I were to be buying a new laptop, that might turn me away from buying a specific model right there...

On another note, with the new toshiba's, I think their design of putting the speakers right at the front, (under where you would rest your hands/wrists while you are typing) wasnt a very good idea... they will get worn down faster and not to mention that if you are using the computer and listening to music, your hands/wrists are covering them up anyways.... anyone agree?

4W4K3

VIP Member
My keyboard is jut like my desktop almost on my laptop. delete key is right above the backspace. my speakers are also where my wrists are, except there on the SIDE of the laptop...so you never really touch them. on top is a weird design...

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
The placement of Delete key on laptops makes somewhat sense, since in the past laptops were used mainly for typing text. So the backspace were used more frequently, and the Delete key only rarely.
It's more weird how the Delete works on Macs. The key is in its usual place on the keyboard, but has a very limited functionality (e.g. you can't delete a selected text with it). But on Macs even the Home and End keys are screwed up...

Southy

Lorand said:
since in the past laptops were used mainly for typing text.

That is true, but wouldnt that be more of a reason to put it in an accessible location? The delete key can be just as useful especially if all your doing is a lot of typing.

Lorand said:
But on Macs even the Home and End keys are screwed up...

Yeah those are some other keys that I think are used quite frequently but yet are put aside somewhere so its really difficult to use them when needed. I suppose if you use the mouse alot then that is fine, but for more advanced type computer users who use the keyboard alot, they depend on having these keys accessible.

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
It's hard to put all the buttons (Home, End, Delete, Page Up, Page Down) on the last column of keys... A solution would be a wider laptop where all these keys could have appropriate locations.
Btw, what about the Insert key? Has anyone used it lately? Mine has 3 mm of dirt on it because never pressed it for years...