Strange PSU Problems

Nick.D

The last PSU I had basically exploded, and after some research I discovered that that was the only one that would even work for my computer.

It's an AcBel FS8003, so I ordered another one.

It just arrived, I got everything all plugged in, but it's causing some strange issues.

First off, it's making a very loud squeaking noise.

Second, it's making my GPU (GTX 970) run hot for some reason. It was rare for it to even leave 30C before, now it's idling at 53C...

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
When a power supply goes, it may take out or damage other components. It could have surged and damaged the video card.

Nick.D

I didn't think there would be any damage to other parts, because it would still run just fine with the old power supply, with the exception of the burning smell.
(Don't worry I never actually ran it like that on purpose, but that's how I found out that 4 capacitors and a toroid had blown. There was a popping noise while the computer was asleep, then when I tried using it next the smell came.)

I cleaned it and the temperatures are back to normal. It didn't look that dirty, but the case had been just sitting open for like a week.
There was also a plastic film on the fan that said "remove film before use"...
Only like 3,000 hours late on removing that, but I took it off.

The noise however is still there, so I'll just hope that it's nothing and carry on until the next component explodes...

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Is it a new psu or did you order the one I linked you to in your other thread? If its making a noise, you should return it.

Nick.D

It's the same model you linked to, but it wasn't from that seller.

It is making a noise, but I don't know if the other one was or not. I can't hear it with the case closed, it seemed really loud, but I didn't realize I had the side of the case off.
Actually, now that I'm listening to it it is the same noise the other one was making.
A low-ish pitch grinding sound (it isn't from a wire hitting a fan).

I don't know if that sound was a precursor to the old one having probelms, or I just happened to notice the noise right before that in a strange bout of coincidence.